Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1/2 shorter arrows shooting high! >

1/2 shorter arrows shooting high!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1/2 shorter arrows shooting high!

Old 07-18-2006, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 1/2 shorter arrows shooting high!

I just bought 6 new Easton Epics with blazers and they are 1/2 longer than my first arrows due to "confirming" with my wife over the phone the exact length from throat of nock to insert. First arrows were 26 1/2", these are 27". The older arrows are fletched with same blazers and field points 100gr. The only difference was the old arrows were the normal size 400gr and the new ones are the ST model. I can drive tacks with the new ones at 20 yds but the old arrows are hitting 4 to 6" high. Is the 1/2 difference in arrow length causing the problem or is it the Slim Tech shafts? I am confused. By the way I had my draw length decreased 1/2" when I bought the new arrows also.

LT
Old 07-18-2006, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 1/2 shorter arrows shooting high!

the half inch and the slim shafts are the problem combined also just wanting to know but what bow are you shooting and whats the poundage
Old 07-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

His signiature =
" 05 BOWTECH TOMKAT; CAROLINA FOXFIRE TP DELUXE; SIMMS S-COIL STABILIZER; TR DROPZONE HUNTER; EASTON EPIC 400'S W/BLAZER VANES AND 125 GR SLICK TRICKS;60lbs, 27" DRAW, 229 FPS, 48.35 ftlbs KINETIC ENERGY. "

Are your old arrows shooting higher or your new ones shooting lower,

I'm guessing the slimmer arrows are sitting lower in your rest and launching lower than the older fatter ones did, causing them to shoot lower. When you adjust your sights to compenate the old shafts are now shooting "higher"- even though they were dead on before the shaft switch.
If I'm not mistaking the newer slimmer ones weigh more per inchand since they are longer will weigh that much more than your old shafts, which is also why they are falling 4-6" lower than the new shafts.

Did you adjust your sights for the new arrows?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a very good observation DaveC. It is in fact the Slim shafts that are hitting lower. I never thought about it but you are right, they are sitting lower and they are heavier per inch. Problem is now I have 10 of the old and 5 of the new. I really kinda like the way the slim shafts shoot though. The last 6 I bought were the regular (old) diam shaft but I did get them cut the right length this time. I have not shot them yet so I may do a little experimenting and see how close they will hit to the ST's. If nothing else I can just use the fat shafts for practice and aim a little low. Those ST's are just so consistent I hate to not use them for hunting. I'll post an update later.

LT
Old 07-19-2006, 03:26 PM

If you go to a smaller diameter arrow or different spine arrow you usually need to re tune your bow. For the diameter size difference you would either need to raise your rest or lower your nocking point.

That is quite a difference though. I have never seen a half an inch in arrow length do anything if they are the same arrows. So I would say it's a combination of the extra weight and being nock high on your set up.

Paul