HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/148367-wierdest-thing-has-ever-happened-you-woods.html)

Patriot15 07-18-2006 09:20 AM

Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods

Well i'll start. One morning in decemberI was in a ground blind right next to a fence line with my bow. I was asleep and was awakened by something walking around outside my blind. It was still dark and I didn't want to shine my flashlight out there to see what it was and risk ruining the morning hunt but I thought for some reason that it was not a deer. The thing kept on walking around my blind trying to figure out what I was. I had the windows open on all four sides of me and i still couldn't see it. I then started to get really nervous and I had this wierd feeling. Finnally it walked off and it later got light enough to where I could see. I couldn't stand it and I got out of the blind to look for tracks. Sure enough, 10 yards in front of my blind were cougar tracks. I found them on all four sides of me where he was walking. When I saw them I just went cold. Only having a bow I started walking back towards camp and didn't go out again that weekend. Thats why I went out and bought a .44 mag Ruger Super blackhawk. I wont evershoot a deerwith it but it will always be on my side just incase.

Diesel77 07-18-2006 09:22 AM

RE: Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods

My wife actually litened to me! Was bizarre I tell ya.

GMMAT 07-18-2006 09:25 AM

Not to threadjack......and I know for me....it doesn't make that much of a difference, BUT......

It's illegal in NC to carry a sidearm during bow season. Check your state's laws.......or "weigh your priorities".

Jeff

Mathewsboy 07-18-2006 10:45 AM

Someone on here, can't remember who it was, was in his treestand when two guys came walking in the woods and began, well you know what.. Now thats just crazy...!!

Davoh 07-18-2006 11:17 AM

I had a run-in with a couger several years ago. I was walking down the hill from my tower blind after dark to wait for my dad and our hunting buddies to pick me up at the gate about 350 yds down the hill. It was about 1/4 moon and clear as a bell that night so no flashlight was needed, but I had my mag lite in one hand(just in case) and my .308 slung on my shoulder, with rounds in the mag. about 100 yds from the blind I hear "ROWLLLLLLLL" off to my left, but REALLY close... ok, so maybe it was 75 yds or so... but by really close, i mean close enough to know it was growling at me..... instantly I knelt,on went themaglite and unslung and shouldered my rifle.... scanning the trees with the light I saw the eyes... glowing right at me.... He was crouched, real low, like he was about to pounce.... While I was struggling with the legality/morality of shooting at night and just how much danger did this critter pose... he evidently grew tired of the light in his eyes and turned down the hill and trotted off... I could count the ribs down his side... He was hungry, which meant he was twice as likely to attack.I hauled my @$$ back to the blind and waited till I saw headlights at teh gate before I climbed back down again....

basserman 07-18-2006 11:45 AM

I was sitting in my tree stand bowhunting just before dusk. I remember hearing something right behind me and slam. I had a hawk nail me in the high neck area. Apparently it thought my hair was a squirrel or something. I wound up with a few small scratches, and my pants full :D

Patriot15 07-18-2006 12:05 PM

In texas i just can't carry a side arm in october, I have to leave it in the truck, but come november it's legal.

Windwalker7 07-18-2006 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: basserman

I was sitting in my tree stand bowhunting just before dusk. I remember hearing something right behind me and slam. I had a hawk nail me in the high neck area. Apparently it thought my hair was a squirrel or something. I wound up with a few small scratches, and my pants full :D

I had a screech owl do the same thing to me.

LaHoytguy 07-18-2006 12:51 PM

Ha that reminds me of something that happened to me one time. I had gotten permission to hunt a small track of woods, maybe 10-20 acres that was inbetween neighborhoods that hadnt been developed yet. It was in the AM wayyy before light and I was heading toward a spot I had found while scouting and set up a cheapo pvcfeeder. I had my stand on my back and bow and arrow and a little pin light. I eased into the spot after about a30 minute hike and found the tree I marked. I quietly was setting up my stand when I had a weird feeling about something. Well I think we all get the feeling at times in the middle of the woods and no light and our mind plays tricks on us,,,, soo I blew it off and continued with what I was doing until,,,,,, I heard footsteps! I would stop what I was doing and the noise would stop. Well after this happend a few times I could tell it was circling me andI was begining to say f%$& trying to be quietI was throwing that thing on the tree, then just as I got my feet in the straps to climb theall I could hear was this odd sound I have never heard before, kinda a mix between a hogs squelling noise it makes if shotand a dogs growel/snorting sound and limbs/trees breaking as it charged me, what ever was coming at me was big and coming fastit was something that sent chills up my spine and I hurried up that tree!!! I hate to say this but I will admit I was about 2o years old and I was so scaredI was allmost in tears. after I got up the tree about 20 feet or so Itook a breath and climbed till i was about 30 feet up. I could hearit at the base of the tree sniffing aruond and making racket. I was sohigh up my pin lightwouldnt make it that far down. I eventually heard it walk off after about 10 minutes of beingat the tree.About 45 minutes lateras the sun came up I heard somehting else, not quite the same noise, more familiar of something rustling around like a possum. THen I was like its you a$$ now buddy and got my bow ready. But then as it got light itwas a coon eating my corn. I dont know what charged me as there are no feralpigs around hereor nothing else in NorthLouisianathat makes that kinda noise. What ever it was it was big listing to its footsteps and hearing it knock brush around as it moved through.I just know I didnt go back to that spot at night. The funiest part of the story is that there have been some stories of big foot sightings in that area in the 80's. I didnt know about going that far, but kinda cool.

GMMAT 07-18-2006 01:38 PM

Last year.....(not very exciting, but 'strange').....I got off work early to get into my favorite area to bowhunt. It's about 3:00pm....and I get into a good tree with my climber. I get up to about 20'......and retrieve my bow from my haul line.

I've never felt it before....but something didn't feel 'right'. I began to feel REALLY uncomfortable. I climbed down.....and decided to change locations. I left the climber there.....and went over to where I had a lock-on located. I climbed up......retrieved my bow....and sat down. Again....this VERY uneasy feeling came over me. I fel like something was telling me to get out of the woods. I climbed down......walked by to retrieve my climber.....and walked home. It was broad daylight....beautiful......and I was afrad something was going to happen. It was a VERY strange feeling that I'd wish on no one.

I've never felt that way since then. I just knew I had to get out of the woods that day.

Jeff