Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods >

Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods

Old 07-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods

Once my grandpa told me a story of his friend hunting in alabama and when it started getting dark it smelled something bad. He said he could here something walking around but never saw it. When it got dark the thing didn't move but he could still smell it. When he got out of his box blind and started walking down the trail to his truck he heard footsteps behind him. When he stopped it stopped. Then he walked real fast and stopped suddenly and it made a few steps then stopped. Then he took off in a dead run down the trail and jumped in the truck and never came back to that spot.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not very exciting either but odd. Early season last year, I was sitting in a wood ladder stand. And from my right I hear some noise, and finally I see a coon come trotting through on the path that I had taken to get to the stand. Well, he keeps walking, then he just stops right in front of me and turns his head and looks right at me. I didn't make a move the whole time he was there, because I didn't want to spook him, I wanted to watch him. Then he turns and walks straight towards the stand all the while either looking at me or up the tree somewhere. So I stand up and swing my arms and I throw a stick at him to scare him off. He finally turned and ran back where he came from. I dont know why he followed my exact trail to my stand even where I turned to walk towards the stand. Since its a wood stand, I wouldn't doubt it was gonna climb it or the tree and since it was broad daylight he was probably sick. Now that I'm thinking about it, it could have been the pee I had on my boots, I dont know.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:38 PM

Last year I was hunting in Illinois during the rut. As it got dark, I climbed out of my stand and started heading up the ridge out of the creek bottom I was in.

As I started walking, I jumped a deer. Thinking I might be hunting there in the morning and maybe wanted it to stick around, I snorted at it to maybe make it think I was a deer (it's worked to stop them back home anyway). Well it did, and I could hear it coming up the hillside at me in the leaves. I got behind a tree and stood still and heard it grunt. Now I'm scared remembering all the "buck attack" stories I've heard.

I waited till it started heading in the other direction, but when I started moving it came right back up over the ridge. I should have shined my light on it but part of me still didn't want to spook it. Eventually it started heading back down the ridge again, turned on my flashlight and RAN!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

Last year.....(not very exciting, but 'strange').....I got off work early to get into my favorite area to bowhunt. It's about 3:00pm....and I get into a good tree with my climber. I get up to about 20'......and retrieve my bow from my haul line.

I've never felt it before....but something didn't feel 'right'. I began to feel REALLY uncomfortable. I climbed down.....and decided to change locations. I left the climber there.....and went over to where I had a lock-on located. I climbed up......retrieved my bow....and sat down. Again....this VERY uneasy feeling came over me. I fel like something was telling me to get out of the woods. I climbed down......walked by to retrieve my climber.....and walked home. It was broad daylight....beautiful......and I was afrad something was going to happen. It was a VERY strange feeling that I'd wish on no one.

I've never felt that way since then. I just knew I had to get out of the woods that day.

Jeff
Well I dont blame you, I have read too many stories about people who have had the feeling and acted on it and are alive today because they did so. I know if that ever happens I am going to listen to what ever something is tryin to tell me. The way I look at it is, the very least nothing happen, you stay there, have a horrible trip worrying the whole time. Worst case something going wrong and not making it out of the woods. A deer is not worth my life. I will take the chances and go home. I have heard these stories mostly from cops where they just had that gut feeling about something and were right. Animals have instincts, wouldnt it make since we do too??
Old 07-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Spike

At about 1:00am we left my buddies home in Springfield MO and headed to Northern Missouri to arrive at the timber 1/2 hour before daybreak. Arriving, I was dizzy, tired but excited heading across a pature to my stand- It was getting light during the final stretch and I heard an odd noise- I looked ahead about 50-60 yards and could make out a critter moving to my left toward the timber- this critter stood as tall as me (I'm 6'9") and my freaked out mind could not lock into what in the world I was viewing- It was starting to really play with my mind and there is only so many animals that it could be. It dropped into a creek and disappeared into the woodlot that I was hunting. When it was light I eased into the woodlot on high alert- nothing. I made it to my stand had an uneventful hunt and met with my buddy and explained to him my somewhat terrifying and odd experience. He let me talk till I was done then casually explained to me that the soybean market was good, corn was down, and the bottom fell out of the Emu market and it cost more to feed Emu's than what they'd bring, so several months earlier his dad opened the gates and reintroduced Emu's to Northern MO.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Short and sweet. Shotgun hunting two years ago over a big cut hayfield in the evening. As daylight has run out and we are all beginning to exit our stands (4 people all around this field), we all hear this absolutely blood-curdling, high-pitched scream. It's only about 75 yards back behind me in the timber, but everyone hundreds of yards away hears it clearly too. I live in south-central Illinois my friends, and unless this was a unique bird of some sort making a weird vocalization, there is absolutely nothing in my woods that makes this sound. I put a pretty firm grip on my 12 gauge and walked backwards a good ways with 100% of my focus on the sound's origin until I met up with the guys to leave.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

I've always been intrigued by the Bigfoot myths. Could be fabricated, but interesting regardless.
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=8547
Old 07-20-2006, 09:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

Short and sweet. Shotgun hunting two years ago over a big cut hayfield in the evening. As daylight has run out and we are all beginning to exit our stands (4 people all around this field), we all hear this absolutely blood-curdling, high-pitched scream. It's only about 75 yards back behind me in the timber, but everyone hundreds of yards away hears it clearly too. I live in south-central Illinois my friends, and unless this was a unique bird of some sort making a weird vocalization, there is absolutely nothing in my woods that makes this sound. I put a pretty firm grip on my 12 gauge and walked backwards a good ways with 100% of my focus on the sound's origin until I met up with the guys to leave.
Arnt panthers known to scream like that? I have heard they sound likea womans scream.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Patriot15

Once my grandpa told me a story of his friend hunting in alabama and when it started getting dark it smelled something bad. He said he could here something walking around but never saw it. When it got dark the thing didn't move but he could still smell it. When he got out of his box blind and started walking down the trail to his truck he heard footsteps behind him. When he stopped it stopped. Then he walked real fast and stopped suddenly and it made a few steps then stopped. Then he took off in a dead run down the trail and jumped in the truck and never came back to that spot.
Tell your grandpa that was me.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: LaHoytguy

ORIGINAL: Illini_Sportsman

Arnt panthers known to scream like that? I have heard they sound likea womans scream.
Screetch owls. They sound like a woman screaming "Noooo" while being crushed by an elephant. It's a horrid noise.

Quick Reply: Wierdest Thing That Has Ever Happened To You in the Woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.