Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dinner and conversation with an ANTI >

Dinner and conversation with an ANTI

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dinner and conversation with an ANTI

Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dinner and conversation with an ANTI

You may think this is going to be shootout type of post with tempers running high with insults and the like. Well, not so. I have to tell you that I have been in my house for one year now and got to know my neighbors by having them all over a few weeks ago for a cookout. Now they have all seen me target shooting in the yard and seen my 3-d deer standing out there since I moved in, so they pretty much know I am a hunter.
One of the couples reciprocated last week and invited my wife and I over to their house for dinner and I knew pretty much where they were coming from too. They had told me initially that they are animal lovers and against hunting. Not so much him as her. She was very vocal and active in animal rights, so I knew this would be interesting.
I took this as an opportunity to educate, instead of argue. When we arrived I noticed a huge array of bird feeders in their yard and we spoke about the different varieties of species coming to the feeder. Now I am by no means an avid bird watcher like my hostess, but when it came to recognizing the different birds and naming them I did pretty well. She even commented on my knowledge. We spoke of many topics regarding the outdoors including different types of trees, gardening and so on.
As the evening went on, and we expressed our love for the outdoors in our own way I explained to her that the joy and pleasure in hunting is not the big climax of the kill, but more the whole outdoor nature experience. I told stories of the black capped chickadees landing so close I could almost touch them, the red fox, turkeys and bear passing by while I am in the tree, or the sound of a hoot owl echoing through the woods at sunset. I told her a story about when I was climbing up a tree one dark morning and found it was already occupied by a raccoon, which was not too happy to share.
I commented on the entrée served for dinner (lamb) which was very good and that took the conversation in a direction of humane slaughter. She told me that she pays more for her meats and fish and such because she shops where the grocer insists on only selling items that are organic and butcher shop products that only use humane slaughter. This was a perfect time for me to explain to her that the reason she sees me out there target shooting all the time is because I am an ethical hunter who wants a quick kill when the shot presents itself. I explained to her the new technologies in hunting gear that are improving all the time to make a clean, quick kill. I also told her that without hunting the deer population is at risk of starving through the winter and told her what that is like.
All in all I believe that I left her with a new understanding to our sport. She told me that she never really understood hunting before and thought of hunters as barbarians who had no appreciation for nature.
I know maybe some of you who read this might think “who has time for this?” Well, I have to tell you that I am very happy I took the time. I think if given the chance to reach an anti and have an intelligent conversation with them and express our views, we would all benefit from it.
Just thought I would share this experience with my friends here.
DW

Old 07-18-2006, 09:17 AM

Default RE: Dinner and conversation with an ANTI

nice job. i try to explain the difference between an animal raised as a slave and a free roaming creature to a lot of them - and it makes sense to most of them - because i'm against a lot of farm raising practices myself.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

I gained permission to hunt on my prime hunting land by having JUST the conversation you speak of with my land owner. He's never killed an animal.....and he loves them. He knows I love them, too,........now.

Good for you......good for your neighbors (for havig an open mind)......and good for us (Your actions were).

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2006, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I took this as an opportunity to educate, instead of argue
Very well done NJ/PA, very well done and that's exactly the approach to take because had you or anyone started out with the intent of arguing the topic, there would have no winners and you'd left her with another bad image of a hunter.

I love taking those opportunities and if I must say, I've swayed some in our directions as well.

I could actually be active in animal improvements (not rights) if they'd only leave hunting out of it. Remember, anti hunting orgs care nothing for animals, only their agenda. People on the other hand can be educated.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job!!

The best part is word of mouth. She might explain to her like minded friends her learned infromation.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well done NJ! Keep up the good work!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:42 AM

way to go
Old 07-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Well done indeed... That is exactly the way to handle it.

I had a very similar experience... with my in-laws.

My wife's parents are very much "city folk" and generally have a *ahem* dim view of hunting... and in particular Texas hunters(they're from Colorado), since the vast majority of hunting for whitetail here is done over a feeder. But they generally dismiss just about anything I ever say, since I'm the SON-IN-LAW, I must not know anything afterall....

You can imagine the look on my mother-in-laws face when my wife told them I'm teaching her how to shoot a gun(big deal with them... very anti gun folks) and she's going to hunt this year!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

What no sharing of grizzly pictures of woodchucks or rabbits to push in their face your god given right to maim and slaughter?No telling them if they don't like your hunting ways that they can get the heck out of Dodge! What kind of an ambassador to our hunting community are you?How are we supposed to advance our cause if you are showing consideration and understanding for those who may not be familiar with how muchrespect we have for the animals we pursue and the country that we do it in? And what it actually worked! These people now have a new sense of the sincerity that most of us hunters approach our hunting activities with.
Damn well done!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:44 AM

Thank you on behalf of my husband and I......both of us are avid bow hunters. Sometimes it is very difficult to get people to understand where we are coming from. I know especially as a female bow hunter, most of the women I know have no clue about hunting, they think it is a horrible thing for another women to love and enjoy, and some times it takes a great deal of discussion and education to get them to understand our position. We contribute around 250 to 300 pounds of venison each year to share the harvest and do a lot to encourage more women and children to experience the outdoors and hunting. You seemed to have taken the same approach we try to....education, explanation, discussion and a respect and understanding for the anti hunters views.
Thanks for your representation of the rest of us.
Diann

Quick Reply: Dinner and conversation with an ANTI

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.