Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does using a compound bow make you a sissy? >

Does using a compound bow make you a sissy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, shooting a compound bow makes you a sissy!
13.68%
No, shooting a compound bow doesn't make you a sissy!
86.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Does using a compound bow make you a sissy?

Old 07-17-2006, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does using a compound bow make you a sissy?

The question asked in this poll gives rise toan idea for another poll. Here you go...

Does thinking that the weapon a hunter chooses has something to do with hismasculinity prove you're amoron?
- YES, using manly weapons makes you manly.
- YES, using sissy weapons makes you a sissy.
- YES, there are manly weapons and sissy weapons.
- YES, I actually thought about it for more than 2 seconds.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:19 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

No, sometimes it proves you are realistic. I can't pull back a 90# recurve, but I can pull back a 60# compound, which produces roughly the same energy (and momentum, in case somebody wants to go there).

Tell the 800# Alaskan brown bear I killed with my compound last month that I'm a sissy!
Old 07-18-2006, 01:04 AM

I shoot a 55 lb. 80% let-off compound.

I strive for accuracy, not for showng that I can muscle backsome "gorilla" bow.

I suppose next that one will be labeled a sissy if they're not pulling someone'sidea of enough draw weight.

BTWwhat about( instinctive ) recurve and longbow shooters that simply draw back and let go?

Are they really holding full weight ?

Of course maybe those who put down compound shooterscan't shoot compounds themselves because cams, cables, and adjustable sight pins are just too technical and beyond their comprehension.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 AM

Me use rock make deer stop. Me use teeth end fight.

Me think you all sissy.

Me go home now and watch cable tv.

Old 07-18-2006, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BTM
No, sometimes it proves you are realistic. I can't pull back a 90# recurve, but I can pull back a 60# compound, which produces roughly the same energy (and momentum, in case somebody wants to go there).
Tell the 800# Alaskan brown bear I killed with my compound last month that I'm a sissy!
BTM,
From your response I can see you've given my question some thought so now I'm curious. You answered the question by saying that "sometimes it proves you are realisitic" [to think that the weapon a hunter chooses has something to do with his masculinity]. You indicate that you are not a "sissy" because you killed an 800 pound bear with a compound bow. So it seems that, in your mind, the weapon a hunter uses is indeed a reflection of his man hood. So given your thought process. Would you say you would be "less of a sissy" or in other words "more manly" had you killed the bear with traditional equipment? Would you be "less manly" and "more of a sissy" had you killed the bear with a cross bow? Does hunting with a rifle make you gay? If you're a woman would it make you a tom boy(or worse)to choose a recurve? Just trying to follow the logic.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Fieldmouse

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I don't think so.

I do think using a high powered rifle from 200 yards away with shooting sticks makes you a sissy though. Just my opinion.
Amen on this comment
Couldn't agree more.

Your choice in bows doesn't make you a sissy, as long as you don't have someone else clean your kill, you're alright.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:53 AM

I am now a bigger sissy just for having read this.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

All depends on where you live, and how you want to hunt. These same guys that you are calling sissies could call you unethical because you could wound a deer easier with a bow. Who says hunting should be harder? I mean that's cool if you want it to be, but some just want to put game in the freezer and/or keep the population in check. And using a bow isn't always going to do that. If it's legal I say go for it. And always remember there are waay more gun hunters than bow hunters. Go a head and call them sissies and piss them off. Next thing you know there will not be a bow season for some stupid PC reason or another.

I personally don't think hitting a deer at 200 yards with a rifle is that much harder than hitting one at 20 yards with a bow. Other than you have to get the deer closer with the bow. But I don't see where that has anything to do with being a sissy or not.

Wrestle one to the ground and beat it to death with a rock, then I will be impressed.

I never like where these discussions end up eventually.

Paul
Good answer Paul, perhaps the best answer to this and many similar threads!
Why are we better than gun hunters?? I do both and don't feel ashamed or less manly to admit it. Why are we more hardcore? Because we have to get within 30 yards?
I Don't mean to purvey the attitude that either is harder or easier. But (please be honest here) when was the last time you stalked a whitetail through a marsh, or belly crawledthrough an openfield with your bow?
Most likely you sit in a tree, that maybe you scouted prior to the season, and wait for a deer to come by.
I guess my point is if your trying to prove your manliness go enter a toughman competition. Don't try to accomplish it in the field, your looking in the wrong place. And by the way . don't begrudge your fellow hunters method of pursuit. It's not manly or cool!
Old 07-18-2006, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fight4yourguns

Sorry, but this has to be one of the worst polls ever posted
I couldn`t agree more[&:]
Old 07-18-2006, 08:59 AM

That is a totally stupid idea. Compounds take alot of practice and dedication to get good at.(Just like anything)Just because we dont shoot bows that look like braches with strings attached doesnt make us sissys. My cousin had the same perspective on compounds and tried to convince me not to buy one. His thought is that all you have to do is point and shoot. Well I got my bow and when he had a chance to shoot it he did and he said, Man thats hard to shoot! So Im like haha told you so. But we now both respect each others prefereces on bow types. He likes trads. I like compounds. But we both love archery and I think that is what really matters.

Quick Reply: Does using a compound bow make you a sissy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.