Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wild Outdoors Yesterday >

Wild Outdoors Yesterday

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wild Outdoors Yesterday

Old 07-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Wild Outdoors Yesterday

I have seen bad shots from EVERY person out there. If bad shots are gonna keep you from watching hunting shows then you should just not watch them because they are ALL guilty of it at one time or another. I don't care if it is Fred Bear, Ted Nugent, Jay Gregory, Will Primos, Stan Potts, the Drury boys or any other TV hunter........they have all done it and will do it again. Just imagine if that is what they are willing to show you.......how bad must the stuff be they cut out??

I don't mind Jay........I did see a REALLY bad show of his where his wife missed a buck, dry fired her bow because she was over bowed and then couldn't even draw it again..........all in the same show!!!!.......and the buck she missed would have been dry fire #2 except he put her arrow back on the rest before she shot (she didn't know it fell off) YIKES. All in all from what I have seen of him he is not the worst out there. I think he tries to be good and that is more then I can say for a lot of others.

I don't really understand the attitude of "yuppies" not "deserving" to hunt. I never read in any hunting regulations book that you had to be born and raised in a one stop light, backwoods town to "deserve" to hunt a deer. As far as I am concerned if you hunt ethically, legally, and safely........you "deserve" to be out there just as much as anyone else. We should be encouraging some of these kids from the suburbs and cities to put down the Playstation and pick up a bow. In case no one noticed the hunting population is getting old and we NEED young kids to take an interest in what we do or 20 years from now people will be talking about when people "used" to hunt.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Howler

I saw the show and I can compare it to the "Bowhunter mag. TV." show with MR. James and Dwight Shue?(sp) that I saw last night. In the Bowhunter show, they were hunting elk, and I don't rememeber exactly how many shots they took, and aired, BUT they never connected on a single elk, about 5 or 6 shots were taken. Several of the shots were deflected by tree limbs. SO, which is worse, taking a shot that has a tree limb between you and the target, or taking a shot with a fence between you and the target?
I just love to read on here all the comments that the couch potato "quaterbacks" have to say, because I'm sure you're all SO much better at NOT taking questionable shots in the real world, OF COURSE, you don't have a camara over your shoulder, so no one will ever know YOUR truth!!
I ain't saying I'm perfect neither, BUT I've missed a shot or two do to deflections, JUST not on film!!
I do however agree, Jay sat himself up for failure by putting his blind obviously in the wrong spot!! Shooting through a barded wire fence is one thing, BUT to shoot through a mesh fence, no much room for error!!

Hold on a second here. So your saying that a panel fence that is right in front of your nose that you can plainly see and small branch in the woods that you don't see are one in the same? Get real buddy how in the heck can you make a comparison like that?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hold on a second here. So your saying that a panel fence that is right in front of your nose that you can plainly see and small branch in the woods that you don't see are one in the same? Get real buddy how in the heck can you make a comparison like that?
Ya must of missed my last paragraph!! I didn't right a book, so go back and read it again, all the way through this time![:@]
Old 07-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Howler: I can promise you that this "couch potato quarterback" would NEVER shoot at aanimal that that was standing on the other side of a panel fenceespecially after already having one arrow deflect off of a barbedwire strand and then show it on television.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gutshot

Howler: I can promise you that this "couch potato quarterback" would NEVER shoot at aanimal that that was standing on the other side of a panel fenceespecially after already having one arrow deflect off of a barbedwire strand and then show it on television.
Exactly my point Thank you. I put a post on the Wild Outdoors forum but, either the sight is shut down or no one even looks at it.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't see this show but I will say that alot of shows I been seeing latly are a slap in the face of the sport. We all have made bad shots from the shakes or not seeing a small twig in the path. But as sportsman and bowhunters we only got to answer to ourselfs for making a very unethical shot but these people that air these shows on TV are putting out a bad image of the sport to everyone. If I have a serous brain fart in the woods only person that knows is me and I got to answer to that to myself not air it across the world for the anti's to use for ammo on inhuman treatment of animals. Just last week I think it was I saw a show from Hank I think it was shot a big buck and didn't find the deer for like 5 weeks later. That was a waste of the meat totally but he was still showing the rack at end of show like he did something great. These guys do need to get there heads out of there cracks and start showing the proper hunting eithics on taking the shot.

Trytan
Old 07-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can't you guys hit a 4" X 6" post card at 10 yards? I bet most of us that frequent this site can!! SO, if you can shoot good enough to hit the post card, WHY can't you shoot good enough to put your arrow through the post card and hit your target at 30 yards?
I remember a couple years ago when Jordan missed a KS. buck because of a barded wire deflection, and he was also rideculed here by many. SO, what that says is that most guys here can't hit a target that is about 10" in dia., or for that matter, get an arrow through a 10" hole to hit a target on the other side!
I'm stillcurious, what's the difference in shooting at a target and having a limb diflection compared to a wire deflection? Why should one be any differant than the other?
If we practice over, around, under obstacles, why is it un-ethical to take a shot of the like in the real world, as it often happens? If all the guys that have been seen on TV would have "made" the shots, would they still be under the knife?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:23 AM

Howler, I think the main difference is that most limb deflections happen because the shooter doesn't see them. Maybe they are spot and stalk hunting or still hunting and have to shoot from unknown positions of maybe they just didn't see a small twig or realize it would be in the arrows path. A wire fence like that is very obvious and why you would set-up your blind 10 yards from it I don't know.

I think I could hit a postcard at 10 yards if that's what I was aiming at but if I'm aiming at a live target with my 30 yard pin I'm not so sure I could get it through.

I just saw their latest show last night and coincidentally it was a look back at Tammy's growing process bowhunting the past 4 years. They did make a valid point that she learned everything in front of the camera and made every mistake in front of a huge audience. I think maybe she deserves a little bit of slack as I'm sure not many can say that they weren't a bit imperfect when they first started bowhunting.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I got your couch potato. We all have made poor shots. The last thing I would want to do is air ir on TV. I would never knowingly set up where my shot had to fo thru a damn fence.