Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My Second Day At It... Bows >

My Second Day At It... Bows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Second Day At It... Bows

Old 07-17-2006, 07:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My Second Day At It... Bows

ok first off where are you from? If it is close enough I would take a day and drive and help you set up the bow properly and get your shooting form set up properly. I hate to sound like a broken record but you need your rig set up for you and shown the proper way to anchor, aim and release. Yes bowhunting been around for hundreds of yrs but you can't just pick up a old bow and expect to be good enough to kill a deer eithicly in a couple months. With properly tune and set up equiment of todays standerds yes you can be a fairly good shooter in well under a month but thats only with proper setup.

Trytan
Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 AM

I appreciate it but its not necessary... I've got a friend of mine who's helping me either set up my bow or is going to rig me up with one of his older ones... why not, I think he had something like 6 last count.....

Old 07-17-2006, 07:48 AM

OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!
Okay, I know now why you don't practice for more than 1 hour each day!!!
My shoulder is fine but my fingers burnt like hell when I went to pull the string back... but I did so anyways... and found out when you are that stiff and sore you can't aim worth a crap!!!!
Okay, a shooting glove is the next thing I'm getting.....

Crap! ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch.....
Old 07-17-2006, 09:52 AM

Your shooting with fingers? You should get a release loop on your string and get a release. It is much easier than the fingers, more accurate, and it doesn't hurt at all . And like you said when you are that sore you can't aim worth a crap and that is when you will start to get frustrated because you are shooting like crap. Also, remember to always anchor at the same point. If you don't your shooting won't be getting better.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:04 AM

Yes... ouch (again )... with my fingers...

ahhh hah... so that's what those release thingys at the shop were for.....

Old 07-17-2006, 11:24 AM

OUCH OUCH OUCH!!!
Okay, I know now why you don't practice for more than 1 hour each day!!!
My shoulder is fine but my fingers burnt like hell when I went to pull the string back... but I did so anyways... and found out when you are that stiff and sore you can't aim worth a crap!!!!
Okay, a shooting glove is the next thing I'm getting.....
I found a pair of thin goat skin work gloves helps out while your learning, but I'm at the point where I need to get a shooting glove also. I don't need itoften, but I want an arm guard too, because, well, you'll see- LOL!
Overall, you sound like you're looking at this from a similar point of view as my own: I'm not going to go out and spend $1000 to try it out and see whether it's something I'm interested in. One of the most appealing aspects of archery (as with most other things in life) is the challenge of learning it and building up skills. If I'm not having fun with it I won't continue pursuing it.
So basically, like I said before, just shoot and enjoy for now. Personally, I like long range shooting. Also, if you have the space, I would recomend moving around- trying shooting you target from different distances and angle, or try shooting different targets. Usually I'll set up and shoot for about 15-20 minutes, then leave the bow in the yard and keep going out to shoot a few every halfhour or hour or so. I've also found that taking a day or two off, every several days, gives your muscle a chance to rest and lets the experience sink in, I'll come back after the break shooting a little better.
Most importantly, find what you enjoy, and just do it! You'll have time later to hone your skills in for hunting!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Keep it up dave, you will get better. I am 40 years old and i also will be learning the bow this year, i bought 1 off off ebay new, for about 400.00. Also did i mention, the real trick for me is i am a ground hunter, never been in a stand never will. At least 80% of the deer i ever killed were at least 30 yards from me anyway. And i like you is that i just want to get in the woods more. I only missed 4 days of black powder and shotgun last year. This year I am going for everyday in the woods that i can use a gun and gonna try and get a few weeks of bow hunting in.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:51 AM

always good for anyone to get into the sport, keep it up and you'll be addicted in no time.. Everyone here has givven you some great advise. What I would do is head on down to your local sport shop and spend a few hours learning. Shoot some of there bows, and get some tips, advise, whatever they are willing to offer. Even if your not buying let them know you are new and possibly looking into a purchase in the near future. Ask them what your draw length is.. very important when buying a bow.. From there you I think you could get a 5'ish year old bow all set up for under 300.00 that will do everything and more you are looking for. ..Remember, start w/ the basics, learn the lingo, and have fun... hope it all works out well for ya.. good luck
Old 07-25-2006, 10:52 AM

I am in the same boat as you,Gouing to start bowhunting for the first time this year.I have been practicing 2 hrs a day for the past three days,I bought a Pro Sport Attack One[Used to be Champion Bows out of Canada] and everything that I needed to practice and hunt with for $60.00.It evenn included a hard case. Look around you can find some deals,Take it to a pro shop and have it fitted to you and enjoy. I think in all I have about $85.00 bucks in mine,with the price of having it tuned,I really have had fun the last few days learning to shoot. I started out at 20 yds. When I feel comfortable shooting at 20 I will work more at 30 yds. Hopes this helps.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

or, do like i did, i'm not as strong as i wish i was so i'm afraid i'm not going to be able to pull the bow back when the deer comes by. especially the huge buck i'm after this year. if you go to gander mountian or any large outdoor shop you go back to the archery section and pick up a crossbow. crossbows are not guns and great to get you started in bowhunting. i'm probbaly looking into a mathews or bowtech in the future. just get a crossbow with some 2219 bolts, 100 gr. practice heads (if your shooting 150lb) and go get a bag target and shoot. just get the red dot on and your nock busting in days. it's really easy. you can always go back to vert. bows. go to the crossbow section and ask a few questions we'd be happy to answer them. crossbows arent any more expensive as a bowtech rigged out. just think about it.

now all you vert guys tear me up for recomending this[8D]

Quick Reply: My Second Day At It... Bows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.