Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 world record or not >

world record or not

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

world record or not

Old 07-17-2006, 06:40 AM

Default RE: world record or not

Mobow, is correct BOW ONLY! Bow kill is just that, cannont be by any way assisted by any other weapon.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw the show also. The PM (professional hunter) is there for the bowhunters protection and will not fire unless the animal charges. They did explain this on the show,the hunter said I hope he doesn't have to use the rifle because it won't count. Better to be alive than have a record. They also have back-up guns on all the other dangerous animals and it won't count as your kill if the PM has to finish the animal off.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

I think most parts of Africa require a non resident to have an armed guide with them, especially when hunting dangerous game such as lions and Cape buffalo. They don't want the guy getting mauled before he gives the tip.[8D][8D] Also for example, if bowhunting Cape Buffalo you have to attend a special bowhunter class in country and have a bow with something like 90 pound draw weight and a 700 grain arrow. If the guy has to shoot the gun it doesn't count.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Iam aware of onlyone record book organization that allows for a "fatally wounded animal" (by archery equipment) to be "humanly dispatched" with a firearm and "it still counts". It isthe Exotic Wildlife Association (EWA). In principle, I like what they do. Theyacknowledge the effortand not necessarily the end result. The animal is still a unique and special thing to make their book. They offer a bit of an incentive for us hunters to elevate our hunts "degree of difficulty".

Many of us push our hunting abilities as well as our equipment to the limit. Why shouldn't we? Many of us make mistakes. Why? Because mistakes happen regardless of the time spent practicing, planning,etc....it would be a lot easier if the animals just stood there and let us shoot them. But, just exactly how much fun would that be?

I havebeen on two archery hunts where it was necessary to "dispatch" wounded animals with firearms. I was not happy that it happened, but I do believe it was necessary (I had oneP I S SED off waterbuffalo that was looking to make blood pudding of anyone that approached. To do it with a bowwould have beensure suicide! I, honestly, did not want anyone killed, nor did I want the buff to suffer any longer. Had I the luxury of pulling my first twoarrows back, I would have. I did not and, thus , made do! I also wish I would have had the luxury of time and a blind eye for respect. I would have simply waited the buffalo out...he would have suffered. He truly was going to die...it was just a matter of time). Both animals (the other was a fallow deer) were "top ten" with a bow. Now, they're "top ten" with a muzzleloader. I guess you win some and you lose some. But, no one can takethose experiences away from me. They are experiences I'll be able to build upon. I am certainly not going to stop trying harder...noram I going to stop giving wildlife the utmost respect...regardless oftheirrecord book potential. Isn't that what hunting is all about?

The guys that did it with just archery equipment, well, I aspire to be just like them! I'll get my chance on a lion this August.

One last thing: Guides in Alaska Are required by law to dispatch any wounded animal. If you make a poor shot on a brown bear, for example,you can expect a rifle report to shortly follow.