Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ? about rifles& why I like bows >

? about rifles& why I like bows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

? about rifles& why I like bows

Old 07-16-2006, 09:58 AM

Default RE: ? about rifles& why I like bows

I don't like this thread. It puts one against the other. Hunting is hunting, no matter the weapon. Just use a left handed model to eliminate the shells going past your face and do your thing.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a big argument between my brother and me.. I love to hunt... PERIOD.... No matter if it's with a bow, shotgun or rifle..
I like to deer hunt every year with a shotgun and a bow.. I like to hunt elk and other game out west with a rifle...
I love to bowhunt and love the challenge but there are challenges and enjoyment that comes from being a good marksman also.

We both have fun bowhunting but Iget to hunt more cuz I keep my options open and enjoy to hunt with a gun also.. Not cheating just one more way to spend time in the woods...

Sorry about my tangent, lol.. As far as your problem... Your right that gun makers don't cater to left handers but there are some good left handed guns out there... I could be wrong but I think Remington, Weatherby and Winchester have all made nice left handed bolt action rifles...
Old 07-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

For me, where I hunt, Rifle hunting is the way to put meat on the table.Only one year that I didgo hunting with rifle, that I didnt bring anything back. And that's because I chose not to. With my .308 anything I can see broadside inside of 300yds(which is entirelypossible, even probablein Central Texas)I know will go down when I pull that trigger. Hunting with a rifle can be frustrating at times when that brute you've always dreamed of is standing broadsideat 100-200 yds, but you can't shoot because of the tree or bush blocking his shoulder... but otherwise, it's fairly easy to put meat on the table. Maybe not horns on the wall, but at least meat on the table.

Flip side of the coin, I have never killed a deer with a bow despite many years trying. Or a hog for that matter. Bowhunting for me is fun. I've never been pressured to kill with the bow, because I know that come Rifle season there will be meat on the table. It's just always something I did for the fun of it. Like someone else said, one more excuse to be in a stand.

I know there are challenges to both types of hunting, but I know which is harder, and the proof is in the freezer.
Old 07-16-2006, 10:51 AM

I don't like this thread. It puts one against the other. Hunting is hunting, no matter the weapon. Just use a left handed model to eliminate the shells going past your face and do your thing.
I didn't mean it to be like that, it's just that I'm new to hunting and honestly asked a question in order to learn. I mentioned this in another post, but as a kid I was taught to shoot BBs right handed, and being left-eye dominant, I was never worth a damn, but I could sure shoot some arrows!
Now back to the thread & rifles, maybe I just haven't looked, but I've never seen a left handed model. Are there some common places that stock them, or is it special order only?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like all the season's. Muzzleloader is second to archery. Rifle third and shotgun last. Didn't go during last years shotgun season though.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Any gun store can get you a lefty bolt gun from Win, Rem, Weatherby, Savage, Ruger & probably more. Or you could get an older top eject Winchester & righty, lefty dont matter except to reload. I bowhunt more simply because the seasons longer. If they gave me 4 & 1/2 months with a gun my bow wouldn't likely leave my yard much.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:41 PM

Hey, I'm left eye-dominant, and left hand also.one of the things I like about bows too. I hope you have good luck in finding a lefty gun.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Leverdude
If they gave me 4 & 1/2 months with a gun my bow wouldn't likely leave my yard much.
Same here.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:00 AM

Speaking modestly enough... the reason I'm getting into bowhunting is primarily to stretch deer season from two weeks to nearly three months....
BUT... I will admit that the bow has already shown other advantages....
Its a great work out.... I've gotten lazy over the last few years and it allows me exercise without thinking about it.. if you know what I mean.
Bows are pretty much silent.... well, compared to firing off 40 or 50 rounds in the backyard... I can practice the bow all day without offending anyone.
The bow has more of a sense of zen and art about it....

and from what I have seen so far by looking at the bow and the accessories, you can really, really get into modifying a bow easily....
even down to the individual components perhaps???
(that part I'm not sure about.... aka riser, arms, cams, etc.)