Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Too late???

Old 07-15-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Too late???

When it comes to hanging your stand and cutting your shooting lanes for bow season (Sept. 18) how early should you get in there to get it done, or better yet since i'm a procrastinator how late would you say it too late???
THANKS
Old 07-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Too late???

Opening day is never too late...LOL That's actually a tough question cause when is it too early...they claim the first time you hunt a stand is the best time....but what if the buck your hunting never comes by your stand until the 10th time you hunt it...it might be the first time for that particular buck. I don't worry about over hunting a stand....if you do everything right, scent, noise etc....

Hang the stand when you think you can, keep the noise, scent and sightings down, hang it when the deer are not there etc.. and have a great season.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, My buddy hunted one of my stands and got a 10 point one morning. The next evening I got a 15 out of the same stand. It is a well placed stand that is in a funnel. I only hunt when the wind is right though.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

WHAT!! You haven't done that already: just kidding l. o. l.
Rob is right its never too late heck some hunters wait right up to opening day.
As for my self I already been out scouting around you know, picked out a couple of trees and cut some shooting lanes.
Although I didn't hang my stands yet ( gotta wait until sept. 1st ) I did some triming anyway and I had my range finder with me so I could check the distance.
So when Sept. first comes aound all I have to do is HANG'EM HANG'EM HIGH and my job is done.
When you do go out make sure your sent free and go out around mid day, that way you'll have less chance of bumping and spooking the deer.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:41 PM

One morning I stumbled across a spot I wanted to hunt a few years ago.I cleared a lane and hung a chain on stand. On the way up the ladder I stopped to break some limbs before climbing on the stand. I heard some steps and looked only to see a 16" - 18" 8 point walking through the woods. He stopped less than 10 yards from the tree and look to see what all the noise was. All I could do was stare back at him and smile while holding onto the tree. It is never too late in my humble opinion.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I couldn't give it several weeks to cool down than I would rather just set up the same day I hunted. This fresh set-up strategy has ALWAYS been thhe one that was far more productive for mature deer anyway. Best of luck to ya this fall.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I move all season long.. Its never too late.. Just do it with caution and scent control and the right time of day.. My biggest buck to date, a beautiful 8 pointer was taken on the day i setup my stand. I set it up at NOON, went and watched the lions lose, went hunting at 3:30 that afternoon, shot him at 6:45. Wind and scent control.. Those are the keys..
Old 07-16-2006, 08:47 AM

Last year I was helping my brother clear shooting lanes in late July. He was in the stand with his 5yr old boy and I was clearing the shooting lanes. We weren't being quiet and all of a sudden a six pointer in velvet came right in and then later a fawn just about ran me over. You don't want to trim your shooting lanes too early because by hunting time the branches my have grown back.