Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bowhunter

Old 07-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Default New Bowhunter

To any with advice,

New to bowhunting. I was just wondering if there are any secrets to sighting in my bow. I have always heard chase the arrow. I tried that and it does seem to work, just not as well as I would like it. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:43 PM

Default RE: New Bowhunter

Hang on there. Let's start at the beginning. I'm assuming you have the properly spined arrows for your set up, right? Ok, after that, you've paper tuned your bow, right? If not, get that done before you start sighting in. It would be pointless. After you are shooting bullet holes in paper, and have the right grip and all that, let's get it sighted in. Yes, you chase the arrow. If you are shooting right, move your pin to the right. That will bring the bow to the left, causing your impact point to move left as well. Same for right, high and low. Chase it. But it doesn't take much pin movement to move your impact point alot.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:48 PM

Just like any sport.

Don't keep going when you start to tire. You will develop bad, lazy habits and your form will deteriorate. Muscle Memory

As far as your sight. If your shot pattern does not move with every move of the sights. Something is wrong with your set up either the arrow rest or nock (or both) aren't right.

Just paste this in google, including the quotation marks "tuning a bow". Over 3000 hits to answer your question.

Good luck and welcome to archery. Post a pic of your first deer in a few months for us with that huge smile we've all had.

Oh yeah, and get ready for a REAL adrenaline rush.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Spike

I have to agree with mobowhuntr. My way of thinking about sighting in is to envison that after the shot your bow remains in the exact same place it was when you released the arrow as if it was in a vice. Now move your pin to the arrows location. Assuming nothing moved, your next shot would hit the same location and your sight is already there. Just a different way of thinking about "chasing your arrow".
Old 07-14-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks to all, I will get on it and will post pics as soons as I get them this coming season.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:21 PM
Typical Buck

IF YOUR GROUPS DON'T IMPROVE WITH EVERY MOVE OF YOUR SIGHT YOU NEED TO HEAD FOR THE PRO SHOP. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU REST OR NOCKING POINT ARE OFF. A PRO SHOP CAN FIX IT AND HELP YOU ADJUST YOUR SIGHTS.
GOOD HUNTING.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:38 AM

welcome to the fraternity of bowhunting ,which at times can be fustrating!!! to say the least. the best way to sight in your bow is to follow the arrow ,if your shooting high move the pin up,and visa versa ,same goes with right and left . good luck!!