HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Increase poundage or not? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/147960-increase-poundage-not.html)

ilovehunting 07-14-2006 03:57 PM

Increase poundage or not?

Hey I had my bow chronoed the other day and when I saw the reading I thought something was wrong with the chrono. So did the shop owner, so she changed the batteries and did some other stuff but still the same. Well my bow consistintly hit 232 fps. I was pretty upset cause I dont feel like shooting a bow that slow. I know that a slow arrow will kill a deer as well as a fast one but I would rather shoot a fast one. My bow( 06 Hoyt Lazertec) has an IBO of 295. Well my actual bow is adjustable from 60-50 pounds. and the draw legnth is 27-29and a half. I am currently shooting at 50 pounds and at a 27 in draw. My arrows(maximas) came out to 332 grains so I am already shooting a light arrow. Also I can handle my current poundage pretty easily. I shot about 40 arrows at that poundage with no tiredness. So I think I could easily crank it to 55. But, I just spent some money getting a sticker for my adjustable single pin sight that if I adjust my poundage at all I have to have it all redone. So here is the dilemma. Should I leave it and shoot a slow arrow?Or should I spend the extra money getting my sight thing redone and go for some more fps? I was wanting to start shooting in some 3d competitions so maybe some more fps would be good. And suggestions would be great. If I dont get anything out of the info I will just leave it and shoot my slow arrows. I know that main reason is my short draw but hey, who doesnt want to shoot a fast arrow?

Paul L Mohr 07-14-2006 04:35 PM

RE: Increase poundage or not?

How much are you expecting to get? You are limited by your draw length and peak weight. That IBO speed is not that great compared to other new bows out. And that is with a bow that is 70 lbs and 30 inches of draw with a 350 grn arrow and nothing on the string. And I bet they still fudge the numbers a bit. You are no where near that, even you if you maxed your bow out. You will not come any where near 295 fps unless you shoot a very light arrow.

If you can handle the draw weight my suggestion would be to turn it up and get a heavier arrow and not worry about the speed. I wish some would never shoot a bow thru a chrono. You took a perfectly good bow that you had confidence in and shot well, shot it thru a chrono and now doubt it on hunting game. That's just too bad.

I say if you want a fast bow, buy one. There are some you could probably get close to 300 fps with your specs and light arrows.

Paul

mobow 07-14-2006 04:50 PM

Shooting 50 pounds, at 5 grains per pound that would yield a 250 gr arrow, not enough, IMO to hunt deer with. You heavier arrows are much better suited. Paul is right on. You're not EVER gonna hit that 295 with your bow. IBO speeds are rated at a 30" draw, 60#. Your 27" draw just won't get it done, but it's better to shoot the correct draw length than not. I would say if you won't be underspined, turn it up to 55 or so, but understand you are only going to hit around 250. But that's pretty respectable. A 332 gr arrow flying 250 gives you 46# of KE. That'll kill a deer, for sure. That is right at 6 grains per pound of draw weight.

RDHunter 07-14-2006 04:56 PM

I'm pulling 70lbs. and my arrows are flying at 286 fps.
Thats fast enough for a complete pass thru and good enough for me.

StumpJ 07-14-2006 05:49 PM

Sounds like to me you have already made up your mind, now you just want to hear from us that you are doing the right thing.I voted to keep your weight alone, what you are shooting will do the job you want it to do,but it sounds like you won't be happy until you get more speed out of it. Therfore I say ... Krank it up!!!You aren't going to hurt anything by getting more speed out of it (except for a few deer every once and awhile).

JimPic 07-14-2006 06:11 PM

What did you think of your bow and how it shot before you clocked it?I'm betting yoou saw absolutely nothing wrong with it until you saw the numbers.You set-up is fine for deer,bear & most other critters on this continent.

Illinoisbow 07-14-2006 06:12 PM

ilovehunting

I'm kinda in the same situation you are, i'm 16 as well and i'm pulling back 54# with only a 27 inch draw length. I have a PSE Bruin and i'm getting about 230 fps out of it. I'm very confident in my setups ability to kill a deer,but i'm limiting my shots out to 30 yards. If you want to shoot in 3d competition,then thats a different situation, but if this is just for hunting, your setup will be fine.

ilovehunting 07-14-2006 06:46 PM

I hadnt in any way made up my mind. Despite the way I might have typed my questions. I had sorta decided to leave it alone. I just wanted some honest opinions on what I thought you might have answers for. Also I am not in any way doubting my bows ability to kill a deer. I am in fact in love with my bow I just thought hey if I can handle it why not? It was pretty much just myself thinking.

Rob/PA Bowyer 07-14-2006 07:09 PM

Your still well over 5 grains per pound and increasing your draw weight with the same arrow will not only increase your speed, you will increase you Kinetic Energy. You alread said you can handle the extra weight so what are you waiting for?

FroMan 07-15-2006 03:56 AM

Why not shoot heavier? Keep shootin heavier til you can't anymore...that's my opinion.

Same thing with guns...why shoot a 9mm when you can handle a 45?

It's better to have too much than not enough...if it's arrow speed, kinetic energy, or gun loads...