Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer-e-ere?

Old 07-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Deer-e-ere?

Chukar, I don't split the pelvis at all anymore. I gut the animal, ring the anus and the anus comes out with the intestines. This way you don't have to split the pelvis and possible contaminate the meat. Not splitting the pelvis also helps in dragging, the legs won't fling all over.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta see if it works,haven't had any problems ringing the anus with a sharp kife though. Now if you could stick it in twist it and the whole innards would come out that would be cool! Lol.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:28 AM

Whoops. Read your post a little too quickly. I see. I did't split the pelvis on either of the does I got last year. My first two deer ever so I was a little aprehensive about cutting into something while ringing it. But that's basically what I did, ring it, tie it off and pull it out through the chest cavity, etc. Will probably still do it that way this year. I had a guy telling me it was a must to split the rib cage open too for air flow but I didn't do that on either one either. How can air not get in through the large hole you've just created? It was very hot the day I got my first one in October, though, so I iced it down as I couldn't get it to the processor until that night.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd only be concerned with splitting the pelvis or rib cage after I get the animal out of the woods. That way you can properly care for it.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

the owner of my local pro shop says that this is going to be one of the best new tools in hunting
Old 07-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

The vedio showed how it worked. I'm getting one. It worked slick as a whistle. Carving out the ole bung hole has never been alot of fun.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Aw Man just saw the video, think I'll stick with the old way.
Thanks for sharing
Old 07-14-2006, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it looks pretty slick but in the video he doesn't tie off the intestine. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose. I'd try one but I'll tie it off before I make the cut!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Spike

Slightly off topic, but how do you all handle the bladder? It seems that no matter how careful I am, invariably I end up spilling some. I've heard that some people use a small needle to withdraw the urine prior to cutting.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really haven't noticed a problem with that.

Quick Reply: Deer-e-ere?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.