Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WHA Question

Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 PM

Default RE: WHA Question

ORIGINAL: HNIJustin

ORIGINAL: Windwalker7

I actually believe nonhunters will except this over real hunting, just for the fact that the animals don't get killed.
Herein lies the very problem. We don't people to accept the WHA as some watered-down form of what hunting really is. Hunters kill animals. Period. If the "maintstream public" does not accept this, then they do not accept hunting.
Here, Here!! And they also don't accept US! And that upsets me! Respect!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you a plant for the WHA? Hve you looked at the polls on this site?On Archerytalk,on bowsite? If gals and guys who spend significant time on these primary hunting industry sites don't have the pulse of the avid hunting community than who does?Every poll on these sites shows the overwhelming majority of hunters opposed to the idea.
The WHA and what they are proposing sickens me!
Old 07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I actually believe nonhunters will except this over real hunting, just for the fact that the animals don't get killed.

I hear it all the time from friends and relatives that don't hunt. "Why do you kill these poor defensless deer?" If I told them I was just tranquilizing them and getting a picture, they probably wouldn't care then.

I can understand the point of commercializing hunting. That might not be a good thing.
Is that what you want, non hunters to accept this as hunting and then be against what is actually hunting, do you want antihunters to accept this and this be the means to abolish hunting as we know. Nothing and I mean nothing good can come of this, don't be mistaken and think otherwise. I don't want it accepted by nonhunters, antihunters or any hunter in general.

Commercializing hunting happened one other time and it all but abolished the American Bison. Nothing good can come of commercializing hunting.

Don't think that the anti arena is following this very closely. If this becomes an acceptable form of hunting (which it is not) domino's will fall in order.

Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

No plant. Just don't see it that way. Every year there are fewer and fewer hunters. We hunters are not accepted on TV or in the media.

With all the issues of gun control and animal rights, I do feel that hunting is on a downhill slide and someday will be abolished.

People from the big cities don't accept hunting like people from the country. With all the urban sprawl, we lose hunting ground everyday.

I guess I feel that something like this will at least get people to look at hunting and maybe understand more than they did before. JMO

I look at what the BASS tournaments did for fishing. I think it got more people involved in fishing than there were before.

I will admit that I do see some of your points. Yes, it may make the public more against hunting. I can see things going that way too.

Here's my point. For the last few years I've been thinking of quiting hunting. I've taken too many deer, to the point that I actually feel quite guilty for taking its life.

When I was younger, I hunted all the time and killed lots of game. I hunted 2 states with gun and bow and averaged 6-7 deer a year for 17 years. I guess the killing part of it got me. I use to like the killing part but now I have much regret.

I like being in the woods and experiencing the sights, sounds and smells. I love everthing about hunting leading up to the shot. But when I walk up to that dead deer, I wish I never shot it.

I just looked at this WHA as something that interested me.

I don't expect you guys to understand.

I can see that you guys are worried in the future of hunting and I guess that maybe this WHA might not be a good thing. You make some valid points.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: LEGACY45

To me WHA ain't now or never will be anything considered HUNTING. To hunt you kill or at least try to. What they are doing is playing paint ball war but drugging the animal. And who really knows what effect it will have on the animals. And it is also going to paint a bad picture of what we all really love to do. And for me its not even about the actual harvest of the animal. Its what takes place before and after. And you can't get that watchin some yahoo drugging a deer on tv for money.
If its not about the actual harvest of the animal but its about everything before and after, Im confused. Is it what takes place before? after? or what?

I would think if its not "about the actual harvest" then it would be really about everything that leads up to the shot that kills it, tranquilizes it, paintballs it, blunts it, or god forbid the shot that ends up missing the darn critter. Or gosh I never thought about it but maybe it could be all about everything leading up to the shot thatwounds the deer but doesnt kill it?

To me its all hunting because to get close to an animal in order to do all of the above you have to "hunt" the animal.

"And it is also going to paint a bad picture on what we all really love to do.." --- Hunters paint that picture already and they paint it about as well as my 5 year old nephew paints. It looks like a mess.

Read the article I posted earlier by James Swan. He is the man!
http://www.jamesswan.com/Villians,%20Fools%20and%20Heroes.htm

Here are a few quotes in his article:

"The Fish & Wildlife survey also asked about the image of the hunter. The response provides insight into the vulnerability of hunting. Sixty-two percent of those surveyed believed that "a lot" of hunters broke hunting laws or practiced unsafe behavior, such as drinking to excess and firing guns recklessly. These polls show that the non-hunting majority don't have much of a problem with HUNTING, but they do have a problem with HUNTERS....if hunting is going to survive this negative image has to be changed."

"The people that must be reached are those who may not have ever fired a gun, sat in a duck blind, or thrilled at taking your first buck. Non-hunters need to understand the drama, excitement and motivations of the ethical hunter, but prime time shows with hunting as a major or minor theme are about as a common as white deer."

You really need to read the entire article to understand my point. Or maybe you just wont ever get it.

Unfortunately, you cant go kill deer on primetime so why not dart them and get their attention and also educate them about traditional hunting. Darting isnt legal outside of a fence and the public cant get the drugs to do it anyway...This can be an opportunity to get primetime coverage. Hell its alreadymaking its wayafter the Daily Show does their little run thru of this controversy.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's my point. For the last few years I've been thinking of quiting hunting. I've taken too many deer, to the point that I actually feel quite guilty for taking its life.

I like being in the woods and experiencing the sights, sounds and smells. I love everthing about hunting leading up to the shot. But when I walk up to that dead deer, I wish I never shot it.

I don't expect you guys to understand.

I can see that you guys are worried in the future of hunting and I guess that maybe this WHA might not be a good thing. You make some valid points.
Windwalker, you'd be surprise how many guys feel exactly the same way, I know I do and that's what seperates us from murderers and killers. Having empathy for the game you take is being human and the fact that I feel saddness at the same time excitement when I walk up to an animal keeps me humble and thanking God for all of it.

The thing about the WHA is that I not for anything that jepordizes that and nothing good can come from the WHA. Too many sportsmen and women across the nation stepping up against says, we all feel that way, majority speaking. Anyone truly standing up for it is looking for a handout, part of it or wanting hunting to go away and I truly believe that.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:17 PM

never had to hunt my dog,horse,cows etc. get close to them everyday
My point was yes the harvest is important it keeps down infections and such and I do like the harvest. It is a major part of hunting which shooting a druggeddart into a deer is not.Which IMO WHA will not ever be a hunting anything. If it was just about the harvest it would be no different than walking out in the pasture and shooting a cow. Don't know if I confused you yet but anyway have a good one[8D]
Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Or gosh I never thought about it but maybe it could be all about everything leading up to the shot thatwounds the deer but doesnt kill it?
That is exactly what the WHA is doing, wounding the livestock and not killing it, but oh, it's okay cause they have a vet handy.... how many hunts have you been on where you take a vet along to make sure the animal is okay...bunny huggers would love that one at least.

To me its all hunting because to get close to an animal in order to do all of the above you have to "hunt" the animal.
How far does the WHA have to "hunt" for these livestock that are in a pen and can't leave....I bet that's a hard "hunt".

Here are a few quotes in his article:

"The Fish & Wildlife survey also asked about the image of the hunter. The response provides insight into the vulnerability of hunting. Sixty-two percent of those surveyed believed that "a lot" of hunters broke hunting laws or practiced unsafe behavior, such as drinking to excess and firing guns recklessly. These polls show that the non-hunting majority don't have much of a problem with HUNTING, but they do have a problem with HUNTERS....if hunting is going to survive this negative image has to be changed."

"The people that must be reached are those who may not have ever fired a gun, sat in a duck blind, or thrilled at taking your first buck. Non-hunters need to understand the drama, excitement and motivations of the ethical hunter, but prime time shows with hunting as a major or minor theme are about as a common as white deer."

You really need to read the entire article to understand my point. Or maybe you just wont ever get it.
I'll never get that, he purposely paints hunters in a bad light which undermines hunting and hunters so why would any hunter want to stand behind him. Seems more like your quoting from an PETA bible rather than a real hunter. I'd find it hard to believe that an organization such as the WHA would result into attacking hunter to get their agenda acrossed, hhhmmm sounds familiar doesn't it...I'll give you a hint.....P....E....T....A...

Unfortunately, you cant go kill deer on primetime so why not dart them and get their attention and also educate them about traditional hunting.
Because that is not traditional hunting.

Darting isnt legal outside of a fence and the public cant get the drugs to do it anyway...This can be an opportunity to get primetime coverage. Hell its alreadymaking its wayafter the Daily Show does their little run thru of this controversy.
And hopefully the show will denounce the WHA and show that hunters across the nation are against it. That alone will paint hunters in a better light. We kill animals but we still care about the animals and that is why you'll see a hunter put his life in danger to save an animal otherwise dying insufferably.

But I know I wasted the internet space by responding to you, it's clear you either belong to the WHA, want to belong to the WHA and you'll do anything to promote your agenda, again, not unlike PETA.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Banned

What others have stated and I see it as a stepping stone in outlawing hunting with real weapons. I could seecity people ,uneducatedon the whole hunting aspect, passing laws only allowing this type of hunting;a catch and release method. The anti's are already wanting to use birth control on doe deer instead of allowing the population to be kept in check by hunters.By themseeing this it could give them ideas about having this implemented into a way as to also give does a birth control shot with a tranqualizer and passing laws requiring only this type of hunting. Population control has always been on the hunter's side with the non-hunting general public. We don't need to give them any ideas. I can't think of any pros from this type of catch and release hunting.HCH
Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Are you a plant for the WHA? Hve you looked at the polls on this site?On Archerytalk,on bowsite? If gals and guys who spend significant time on these primary hunting industry sites don't have the pulse of the avid hunting community than who does?Every poll on these sites shows the overwhelming majority of hunters opposed to the idea.
The WHA and what they are proposing sickens me!
Those polls are BS. First of all, they hadNO factual data behind them before they asked the question. I wont go into those polls becuase this is Huntingnet and Huntingnet sees the WHA as competition.

You are on your computer way too much if you really believe hunting chat rooms are representative of hunters. The only people that speak up are the bitter crybabies on this site and the others...Ive been over at AT for a long time and its the same ole stuff. Bunch of babies that hide behind screens and cant make a decent argument when one is brought up upon them. Instead they personally attack you and call you an idiot or say you are an anti, or in this case a "plant"...

Windwalker made an observation and offered some discussion, but again people go attacking him just like everyone else when they speak up. Didnt you ever think that some good people around here (like Windwalker)just dont like to argue with people they dont know or frankly they dont want to waste their breath because these forums were supposed to be for hunters to help hunters, not argue amongst them. Those people PM me over at Archery Talk and say "im not wasting my time on those guys"...

If you havent noticed, sitting here trying to open peoples minds to other ideas is an exhausting one.

Im gonna go have a glass of wine and catch up on emails. I will check back later and seeif any of thefreaks come out tonight on this thread

Quick Reply: WHA Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.