Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff? >

WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff?

Old 07-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: WalMart stuff vs Proshop stuff?

NCYankee.....when you say "Everyone" benefits.....I "assume" you mean from a worker's standpoint.

I don't know too many small business owners who would agree with your assessment.

Jeff
Old 07-24-2006, 12:46 PM

SB,
I'm not sure what you would call a "small business". As far as "Mom and Pop" businesses, I doubt that a trade or labor union would find it economically feasible to organize them. If you're talking about small, commercial construction businessesI might agree...although I don't know of any commercial contractors that are hurting because of labor costs. Many (I said many, not all) are making a killing using illegals. And you're right on another point...I was referring to a worker's standpoint! But this is for another forum, so I'll keep quiet. Though I still won't shop at Walmart!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if this means anything or not but this weekend I was at my local pro shop. The model number on the 3 blade 100gMuzzy was 225-3. I went to Walmart and the model number on the 3 blade 100g Muzzy was 225-3W.
This may or may not indicate specific blades made for Walmart but there was a definite difference in the model number for the same item
Old 07-24-2006, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Nodog, lets ask people I know who are to this day still slugging out the same menial jobsthey have for the last 10+ years how much richer they are because of Walmart's sharing of profits with them? When Sam Walton ran walmart that may have been the case but not in the last 10 yrs. I have no beef with Sam Walton, he was a good person and atrue visionary among merchants in his day. HOWEVER... I firmly beleive Sam is rolling in his grave at howhis baby grew up, grew ugly, and grew mean. I KNOW the way they do buisness, I KNOW how they treat their employees.

Sam Walton cared about people. That's howhe built his business. Modern day walmart execs care more about their $9 no-caf, 2%, cinamon/vanilla late than they do Joe Schmoe sweeping the floors.

I doubt that Ice Cream Shop is strong-armingtheir suppliers to provide sub-par products just so they can be the cheapest in town. How you can say any small business owner can employ the same tactics as walmart, I'll never know. No SBO can afford the mass qtys required for teh clout to even pretend to act like walmart.

Unions are just as money grubbing as walmart, so don't even get me on that here.

Don't call people cry-babies, and bashers because they chose NOT TO IGNORE THE FACTS.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:05 PM

I would rather spend a few dollars more and buy what Ineed from my local pro shop.We need to keep these guys in buisness!
This will only be my 5th year bowhunting and I know if I need my bow tuned up Wally World sure won't do it!
I've never had a problem with hunting equitment I've bought a WalMart and I don't believe they sell 2nds.
My brother will not buy CD tapes from WalMart because they censor some of the words to certain music.
I agree with him and don't believe in censorship!
Old 07-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi Take, (great name by the way)
Actually it is not Walmart that does anything to edit orcensorthe CD. The Record Label actually puts out edited (clean) versions of certain CD's. Now is that because Walmart (who has 20% of all record sales) wants to sell edited versions to their customers which forces the labels to produce these edited versions? possibly
I don't view walmart as engaging in censorship as much as I see them offering CD's to kids who are not allowed to listen to the unedited version either because they themselves don't want to hear that language or because their parents won't let them buy the CD otherwise.
The labels also produce these edited versions for the radio stations who do not play vulgar lyrics.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Nodog, lets ask people I know who are to this day still slugging out the same menial jobsthey have for the last 10+ years how much richer they are because of Walmart's sharing of profits with them? When Sam Walton ran walmart that may have been the case but not in the last 10 yrs. I have no beef with Sam Walton, he was a good person and atrue visionary among merchants in his day. HOWEVER... I firmly beleive Sam is rolling in his grave at howhis baby grew up, grew ugly, and grew mean. I KNOW the way they do buisness, I KNOW how they treat their employees."

Well from what I know they are not going to see any of their profits until they retire so if they are still there... Care to elaborate on how they do thingsnow? From what you know personally.Why are they still there?

"Sam Walton cared about people. That's howhe built his business. Modern day walmart execs care more about their $9 no-caf, 2%, cinamon/vanilla late than they do Joe Schmoe sweeping the floors."

Really, I know people who work there and have for some time. You'd think they would have left by now. Must be the slave owner thing I hear so much about.

"I doubt that Ice Cream Shop is strong-armingtheir suppliers to provide sub-par products just so they can be the cheapest in town. How you can say any small business owner can employ the same tactics as walmart, I'll never know. No SBO can afford the mass qtys required for teh clout to even pretend to act like walmart."

That's just it you don't know. Sub-par, please. They offer the same things as many other stores in the area offer. Your loosing me.The Ice cream store is a national chain of stores DQ but there is none thatI've ever beenin like this one. He doesn't know the meaningof small and he doesn't charge an arm or leg for a scoop, if you can get him to give you just one.This guy acts just like walmart, his clout in town is that he also owns a pub, a flower shop, some rentals and various other things. Each one he runs with not only the consideration of the product but it's cost to the consumer and the public greatly appreciates it, just like Walmart. Ask the other 23 ice cream stores he's buried how they feel about it and you'll get the same excuses you'd here concerning Wally world.

"Don't call people cry-babies, and bashers because they chose NOT TO IGNORE THE FACTS."

Again care to share any *personal* facts. I've groan tired of the union drool.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: wayomic

Like any store out there, you have to know your product and shop around.

Walmart products aren't always cheaper.

Pro Shops, Cabela's, BassPro, etc, products aren't always better
(especially "store named" products)

The store that buys the more of aproduct get's to sell them for less, or makes a bigger profit.

Cheap junk can be bought anywhere, even a Pro Shop.

Now, when it comes to Walmart.

1.Yes, they sell some cheaper quality stuff. They will even have cheap stuff made just to save money. (so does every other major store)Go to Home Depot and see the difference between a "Handyman Grade" tool and a "Contractor Grade" one. Also, if you were to buy in bulk, you'd save money also. (How much for a 12 pack arrow vanes and how much for a 100 pack when you compare the cost per piece)

2.Muzzies are Muzzies. Walmart sells them for less because either:
A. they are running them on a lower profit margin
(whick they will do on a product in order to get you in the store)
(even been know to do a 0% profit on items to do that)
B. they bought more of them in total from the company so bulk pricing
comes to play.
C. the other companies have a higher minimum profit margin on the product
(Dick's and Gander Mtn especially, seem to always have full prices)
(and other than a few short pre/post season sales don't discount)

The main thing is that a company they buy from will do what it takes to make a sale. Some may lessen the specs for a product and/or make a cheaper version of one. Some may give a bigger price break for bulk. Some may have to do nothing at all.

It's a good bet that Muzzy does NOT lessen their specs on their heads and Walmart is just cutting profit margins. And the reason I think so is because I am sure that Muzzy does not NEED Walmart for their sales and Walmart doesn't have the market power in broadhead sales to force them to do it.
It is too specialized a product that Walmart sells very little of, and doesn't even sell thru all of their stores, and Muzzy has all of the other venues to sell to. (Dick's, Gander, Bass Pro, Cabela's, Any and every Pro Shop and online store)

One of the things that get's me to Walmart for hunting and fishing stuff is that, when the season is over, everything is on clearance sale and needs to be sold to make room for the new products. Muzzy 3 packs go from $17 down to $9 and maybe down to $5, just so they can get rid of them.
The other thing is, if you need something at the last minute, late at night, on Sunday night, on a holiday, while on the way to a trip, etc, Walmart will probably be open while the others are closed.

Very well said!