Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Form Discussion (Mine) >

Form Discussion (Mine)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Form Discussion (Mine)

Old 07-09-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Form Discussion (Mine)

Thought since I got a new camera that takes better pictures that I would see what you folks think about my form this summer.

If you'd like pictures from differen't angles, let me know and I'll see what I can come up with.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Form Discussion (Mine)

Just a note... when you have to bend around the tree a little to get that perfect shot, what happens to your form then?In Bowhunter ed we teach everyone to shootin every possible position that they might end up in while hunting. Around a tree, from a stand, sitting, kneeling, etc., etc. Just a thought.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:05 AM

I recommend more meat and potatoes.......
Old 07-10-2006, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

I actually think you could increase your draw length by possibly a 1/2" to bring your draw elbow down a bit, but that could possibly be because you're aiming at a low point in front of you. Overall, it looks pretty spot-on to me. Good enough to kill a deer with practice, that's for sure.

That would be my only other thought: Be sure to bend at the waist when aiming out of a treestand to keep your form looking good.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a lot of little things you could tweak, but the question is, how important is it to you and what do you want to do with your bow? If you want to backyard shoot and hunt, what you are doing now is sufficient and I am sure you can kill a deer every time at 35 yards and closer. If you want to be the kind of shooter that can shoot 60X's on a NFAA 5 spot face then that will be easier accomplished with a couple of form changes. How much time are you willing to put into making changes? 2-3 months of coaching if you worked hard would get you the right form in blank bale form, it would take another 6 months or so to get that blank bale game onto a paper target. How bad do you want it?

First of all, I think your draw length is pretty close, within 1/2". There may be some fine tuning there, but I would need pics from above you at full draw and after a few form changes to reall tell that. Lets start w/ your bow hand and work back. Your bow hand *could* be changed a bit more so that you are on the left side of your life line in your palm, so it solely sits on the meaty part of your hand under your thumb. This is important because to shoot a perfect draw length, this willprevent you from hitting your forearm with the string.

Your front bow shoulder looks VERY collapsed in the bottom pic. I see inconsistency between the first pic and bottom pic. I have been taught and also feel it is very important to consistency, as well as using your bone structure to steady your shot to bottom out that shoulder. Go stand in a door frame and extend that arm out like you were at full draw and feel that shoulder bottomed out, as compared to very high like in that pic. Which feels more repeatable? To build this into your shot sequence, before you drawbring up the bowput the pin on the target, bottom out that shoulder, and then draw back.

You are leaning back. This is because you are effectively losing draw length with that front shoulder.You are leaning back to compensate. Fix the shoulder problem and you will probably stand straighter.

I feel your release elbow is a bit high, but I think fixing the other problems will fix this.

Here are some pictures I took this weekend ofsomeone else about your age, Corey Monahan (15 y/o). I shot with him this weekend and watched him fall 2 points short of breaking a new world FITA record. See how low that shoulder sits in front? See how much lower that elbow is in the back and how inline it is with the arrow? See how straight his spine is and his head as well?

Old 07-11-2006, 12:08 AM

Maybe these photos will help out, the fabric on that other shirt tends to bunch up on the shoulders.

I realize that in the first photoI am leaning back. I honestly don't know how to correct it. As often as I try,I always wind up in this position. I shoot fine like this, but it just seems odd that I can't get the correct posture.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think if you lengthen your draw legnth about 1/2 inch that may help correct the back bend. What do the rest of yall think?
Old 07-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Draw looks short from the first pic and looks like you are really searxhing to find the peep by the way your head is tilted.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

i cant really tell from the angle but it kinda seems like that fore arm is to straight it needs a little bend in it to help relax.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know about your form but you need to eat something.

Quick Reply: Form Discussion (Mine)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.