HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   could use some arrow help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/147272-could-use-some-arrow-help.html)

MNpurple 07-08-2006 09:18 AM

could use some arrow help

I shoot a Hoyt Razortec at 64 lbs, 29 inch gold tip 5575s and 100 gr thunderheads. My arrow setup is about 390 grains, perfect for whitetails.

I am going elk hunting this fall and it has been recommended that i get a heavier arrow to do the job. The proshop suggested I use my same setup except switch to the Gold Tip Big Game hunter arrows to get around 490 grains. But, according to Gold tips sizing chart, big game arrows are way to heavy for my particular setup. I'm afraid i will be overspined with these, what do you all think. Will i still shoot ok with these heavier arrows besides a little site adjustment and would you do it?

pittbull 07-08-2006 09:20 AM

RE: could use some arrow help

I would probably not do that.. Your current setup will work, but you may consider a little heavier arrow and bumping the broadhead to a 125 gr.

What is your gpi on those gold tps you have now?

mobow 07-08-2006 02:02 PM

I'm only guessing here, but I estimate your speed to be right around 260. That's prolly a little bit low, but err on the side of caution, I say. Given that, and your arrow weight, you are producing 59 pounds of KE. Now, if you are closer to 265 fps you will have about 61 pounds. I'm no expert, but I think that's enough to kill an elk. Switching to a 125 gr. BH will decrease speed to about 257, but will increase your KE to 61#'s.

I think I would shoot the same spine arrow you are shooting now, but go to a camo arrow and jump the BH to 125. That will slow you down a bit, but the added weight should get you to around 65#'s of KE, and that certainly would be sufficient. You know, I just realized that I don't know what your DL is, but given you are shooting a 29" arrow, I'm guessing you draw 30"? If that's the case, I guessed your speed quite low. You are prolly closer to 270, which would give you 63#'s of KE. But I think you would still be better w/ an arrow weight in the 425 gr. range. Camo the arrow and heavier head.

Abuelo 07-08-2006 11:00 PM

The pro shop isrecommending the wrong arrow and you'll find Gold Tips usually weigh out even heavier than what the charts say. I'm hunting elk with the same length arrow, but 75# draw and436 gr. arrows (7595 Gold Tip Pro Hunters w/ 125 gr.broadheads). Yes, you need more weight for elk, buttoo much weight defeats the whole purpose and the Big Game Hunter arrow is way too much for a 65# bow. I'd recommend the 5575 Traditional XT Hunter if you're into Gold Tips.

The key to a clean kill on elk is really the broadheads. Useone with a full ferrule tip, preferrably a125 gr broadhead if it doesn't mess up your FOC.

BOWFANATIC 07-09-2006 08:22 AM

What's your draw length?
You could bump up your KE with a Beman ICS 340 and not miss a beat with your setup (depending on your draw length). Your setup is almost identical to mine. You could also use the GT 7595's with no problem. I've found that the GT 5575's are too weak spine to shoot through my setups.

Different strokes.......but for what it's worth , I'd also use a heavy arrow setup with a cut on contact broadhead for elk.

Nawanda 07-09-2006 10:53 AM

Just shoot your current set up. When your bow is a modern compound, the speed will make up the difference and your arrow will do just fine.