Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 buck down cant find tonight >

buck down cant find tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

buck down cant find tonight

Old 10-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default buck down cant find tonight

well i was 21-22 feet in my tree.....buck broadside arrow looked high as itwent in saw it sticking out other side but stayed as the deer ran it did not jump it did not kick it took off like h*** little blood at place where shot little hair but a nickle size piece of a pink tissue then it started to rain i waited like 30-40 minds befor taking up trail speckles of blood then a little more blood then none the speckles again found my arrow 20 yards from where i shotgot darki tracked speckles about 40 yards then could not find blood trail marked last location of blood and went and looked along the corn field nothing then looked around creek nothing searched for 6 hours nothing...... what to do???????

Edit condition of arrow>>>
brown black hair at tip, white junk after broadhead looks like bone rub, pink flesh, white/gray hair,bright blood last foot of arrow.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:01 PM

Default RE: buck down cant find tonight

go back in the morning and search in the broad daylight. cover every patch of woods/field/or brush that you think the deer may have run to to bed down
Old 10-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

well im guessing the direction he was heading from where i searched and not far from last blood there a thicket then corn/cut hay field
Old 10-22-2006, 11:08 PM

Check those spots out in the morning, every inch of them. You say you hit far back, but thats not always a bad thing. If you caught the liver it will bed down and die within a relatively short amount of time. Just make sure you put plenty of effort into looking.

OOPS justed notcied you said high, not back. That't not usually a good thing
Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 PM
Fork Horn

looking at the anatomy i might have just missed the top of the lung but remembering the arrow looked like it came out mid body
Old 10-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Fork Horn

if thats the case will he live??
Old 10-22-2006, 11:20 PM

If you missed the nearside lung completely, and got only his right lung (or vice versa) it is possible. But usually only in strong and healthy deer. A deer that is "one-lunged" can run a LONG way. People have killed deer with one lung collapsed from a prior hunting season on more than one occasion. On the other hand, if you nipped the closer lung then blew through the farside, you should find him.