HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Local Pro Shop vs. Bass Pro Shop/ Cabela's (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/147069-local-pro-shop-vs-bass-pro-shop-cabelas.html)

kshunter 07-06-2006 10:42 AM

RE: Local Pro Shop vs. Bass Pro Shop/ Cabela's

It depends on the item. I'll buy my bow at a Local Pro shop, since they carry popular brands, that the Outdoor Stores don't. Other than that, I like the larger selection, better prices, and better return policy that the Cabelas stores have.

BGfisher 07-06-2006 11:15 AM

I usually take exception to the statement that you always get better service at a Pro Shop vs chain stores. It's true most of the time but it depends on who's working at the chain store. There are sometimes people there that are young and knowledgable and used to work in Pro Shops that are now looking for a career in retail while still persuing the sport of archery. So it really depends. Each store will be different.

I worked at a Gander store for three years (just quit a couple weeks ago for personal reasons) and the guys in our shop were pretty good. Not top notch, but at least as good as most of the shops in our area. That's mainly because management decided to hire people with knowledge in their field.

A lot of the problem comes in that most people patronizing chain stores are shopping price and don't really know good service until they learn a thing or two. And some don't want to learn anything. So what do you do in these cases?

I had a certain ethic when dealing with customers. I didn't care whether I was selling a $50 Brave or a $600 Diamond. The customer got the same level of service. They deserve nothing less in my book.

VA HEAD HUNTER 07-06-2006 11:26 AM

i agree bg. the gander here in fredericksburg is full of skilled pros in their selected fields. the archery pro shop is top notch and chris there is awesome. im actually going to be working there a couple days out of the week just to get the discount since i spend on average of 10 k a year there and im in there every day to shoot. i also have the bow techs and a few of the gun techs hunt my land. it just makes sence for me. know as far as customer satisfaction gander here is awesome and i have never had so much help in a store. these guys are great. i wouldnt think of going anywhere else.

RDHunter 07-06-2006 11:35 AM

I would support my local pro shop any day.
You really don't save that much money at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops becuase of thier mark - up %
Besides by shoping your local pro shop you can gain a friendship between you and the owner.
As time passes the owner will give you a deal every now and then as you refer your friends to them.
My friend at Bass -N - Sport & Adams Archery take care of me so in turn I try to take care of them.

Oneshot7 07-06-2006 11:47 AM

th local proshop only sells mathews so i only get to go to dicks for my martin stuff

Tbyrnzy82 07-06-2006 12:03 PM

I too would personally rather buy everything form the home town Pro Shop. I feel as if the whole experience of hunting is can be made or broke buy the people that you hunt with or relate hunting too. The legacy of hunting has been made buy the guys that you can brag to, tell your stories to, and vise verse. I am certainly not saying that every Pro Shop environment offers this but it sure has helped me and every person i have ever introduced to the sport.

Tim

Doe Dumper 07-06-2006 01:09 PM

Lucky to have a very good pro shop close to home. Thats where my money goes. Spending an extra dollar if you have to is nothing for the service you get.

kevin1 07-06-2006 02:06 PM

Big box store , the local pro shops are only set up for compound shooters , I shoot a recurve . I don't need their technical help , just an occasional part at an affordable price .

Paul L Mohr 07-06-2006 02:57 PM

In my area cabela's really isn't that cheap. Most of the local small shops can match or beat their price. Where cabela's has them is the sheer amount of stock they have, and a great return policy.

I try my local shops first, if they don't have what I want I'm off to cabela's or gander mountain. I have both within 30 or 40 miles from me. However cabela's archery department in my local store is getting smaller every year. It was huge when the store first opened, now it is a little less than half the size it was.

And the bad thing about cabela's is that if you find something you like, don't count on it being there next season. Or next month for that matter. They change inventory quite a bit. They don't even sell a decent prong rest anymore like a GFK. Every thing is WB's, drop a ways or some other goofy rest.

I don't purchase equipment over the net. If I can't look at first chances are I will not be buying it.

Paul

davidmil 07-06-2006 03:06 PM

The big boys are no longer the bargain they were when they first started out with mail order only from a warehouse. Even with all their bulk buying they can't or won't make any major concessions in price anymore. Quite often shopping at your local pro is LESS. A couple years ago my pro shop bought a bunch of Omegas. He was selling them, and then Bass Pro just a ways away got in a ton of them and put on a big sale. They ran out and ordered more. My pro shop had them $30 less and it took a while to sell the 20 he had. People just didn't check on that large ticket item. They saw "SALE" from the big guy and thought, that's the place. GO figure. He always keeps a copy of the Bass Pro shop latest sale catalog from the paper on the desk. He's the same or less on a lot of things. And of course, the service and expertise is no contest. They can't touch my pro shop.