HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   "Shoot through" Windows??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/147008-shoot-through-windows.html)

Dirt2 07-05-2006 02:45 PM

"Shoot through" Windows???

I've seen a lot of stuff on here about shooting through the mesh of a ground blind and how it doesn't affect arrow flight. Now let me tell you my experience.

I bought a Doghouse TSC and took it out to my range and tried shooting through the mesh. At 20 yards range, every single arrow struck at least five inches high, as high as seven inches in one case - on line but high. That was with field points. I won't be shooting at game through mesh any time soon.

Tbyrnzy82 07-05-2006 03:04 PM

RE: "Shoot through" Windows???

I have shoot through a double bull mesh with great success

bullmoose38 07-05-2006 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Tbyrnzy82

I have shoot through a double bull mesh with great success
Same here.....
How are shooting out of the blind? Sitting or standing? Maybe you are shooting in a position you are not use to and doing something a little different. Try shooting the same way without the mesh and see where it shoots. Let me know how it works hopefully we can get you fixed up.

hunter9022 07-05-2006 06:09 PM

I have the problem to, but i have the T2 blind and the shoot through is at an angle. I think without the flat screen it kind of "throws" the arrow. May also have to much tension on the material.

lte_622 07-05-2006 07:23 PM

i think the reason they are hitting high is because your shooting with field points that do not cut the mesh open enough for the vanes to clear causing massive contact

chucker34 07-05-2006 07:28 PM

Sounds like that could be the problem. I've target shot with broadheads through the mesh windows of my doghouse and been right on. Never tried field points. It is unusual shooting out of a blind for the first time so it could also be you're doing a little something different. The doghouse is a small blind in my opinion. It does the job, but doesn't give you much room to shoot so you have to practice at it. I just bought a larger hub style blind and feel less "hunkered down" then I did in the doghouse. Felt like I was hunting out of a bunker with the little portholes. :D

XTRME_BWHNTR 07-05-2006 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: lte_622

i think the reason they are hitting high is because your shooting with field points that do not cut the mesh open enough for the vanes to clear causing massive contact
At first, I thought this was the answer. And it certainly makes sense. There is just one flaw w/ that reasoning, as I see it. If it were causing massive contact, which it certainly is, I would assume the arrow would SLOW DOWN causing it to strike lower, not higher.

Try it w/ broadheads once and see what happens.

thehairlessone! 07-09-2006 11:25 AM

Your not supposed to shoot broadheads thru the mesh at all. Try it with broadheads.

rick

lte_622 07-09-2006 04:22 PM

rick dont you mean without field points????

and i have shot through mesh on my doghouse blind and I was right on

Leverdude 07-09-2006 07:12 PM

I shot 6 deer thru mesh last year with no issue. Muzzies & Cabellas F3 or something like that. I dont think shooting field points thru it & the arrow slowing is the issue. Arrows flex alot right after release & IMO thats whats throwing it off. Just happens that the way its passing thru is throwing it high. If you could move back 3 feet it might be low. Shoot a broadhead thru it & if your bows in tune you'll hit your mark.
I'v a couple dog houses & a couple hub styles I forget the brand. The blinds are cool if you do it right. All 6 of those deer were within 20 yards & hadn't a clue & all were taken 2 at a time. I coulda took more & had to wait on 2 ocasions for other deer to leave before getting my deer.
I have another one without mesh & the black holes seem to make deer nervous. They still work but when you shoot one it seems the blind is the first thing the rest look at.