Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What should I be doing right now? >

What should I be doing right now?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What should I be doing right now?

Old 07-05-2006, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What should I be doing right now?

This time of the year finds me glassing a lot of the feeding areas in the evening trying to take inventory on what will be available come this hunting season. I also run several trail cams in my quest for mature animals. Of course, I also practice shooting all the time. I don't need to do that much stomping around because most of my stand locations have been loacted during the post season and I'll stay out of most of the areas until I'm ready top move in, set-up and hunt. Best of luck to ya this fall.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bout like IL Cornfed for me too. Glassing from afar on good solid food sources to see what bucks are using what areas. I make sure I do not disturb the deer I plan ongetting a crack at come August 30th. Many of mystands are set in my hunting areas but I am constantly looking for new clues as to where another hawg will be hanging out. Ihave continued to add stand sites and make little adjustments which can be assmall as moving a stand 30 yards based on last seasons over all observations.

Shooting mass video right now. Basically hunting with a camera. A hunter learns alot about his hunting areas, how the winds work and how to enter and exit an area if you can beat the summer heat wind currentsand bugs....Bugs are horrible.. etc...but its all worth it.I keepa consciousinventory on the thermals..this time of yearwhichall spills over into hunting season...everytimeI get a "can't sleeper"on video I forget about all those bugs...two nights ago I was videonig a hawg buck feeding and was getting eaten up by skeeters..I just let em bite..the footage was worth it..Ya know those hawgs that keep ya awake all night just thinking about them, they will do that too ya.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Most of my hunts are on public land too....and most of those will be closed for vehilces.

1. However, most let hikers and bicycles in. I would ride my bike in and chain it up and do some scouting.

2. As one hunter said..study maps. I study the Google map. It helped a ton last night looking for oak tree strands and streams.

3. I'm very over weight so I'm eattng alot less to prepare for my climber and long walks and long dragging of animals.

4. Also a good time to ask private property folks for permision. All they can do is say no.

5. Call Fish and Game for uncertain questions.

6. Keep shooting.

7. Also , keep spiritually fit. This brings on the confidence that you must have. This is an extra bonus . Walk with God.