Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether. >

Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether.

Here's a bunch. I wouldn't say any of them is going to be all that good in the rain, most tents aren't. I don't think I would set a price just yet. If it was me I would decide on what it required, find as much info on what's available and then think price. If most of what's out there is the same then there's no reason to spend more on one over another, but if many just didn't cut it and there were a few that did, I would spend what was needed. Bow hunting is just like that, some things can be simple and the simpler the better and some things cannot. Concealment is one of those things it's best to do your homework on. What good is it to spend so much time and effort only to scare the game your after away. Seems a huge waste to me. Here's what I would look for if I was in the market. Remember, the amount of time you put into scouting and hunting will be worth it. A properly place anything is best be it stand or blind. Good hunting!

1. Camo to match the environment, doesn't have to be in colors, more shades of light.
2. Quiet, all of it from the fabric to the pole. Carrying it in, setting it up, and being in it.
3. Scent control fabric would be good along with how easy is it to get scent free.
4. Room and view. Would hate to be in one that was like trying to play pool where the table is in to small of a room, and would also hate blind spots.
5. Weather resistant.
6. Quick and easyto set up and take down. I would be in the dark most of the time.
7. Price. A good blind should last a long time. Figure that into the equation of how expensive it is.

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Blinds.html
Old 07-02-2006, 06:27 AM

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I am still considering so keep up the advice.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether.

Here are my two cents on the subject and something to consider. From all the information and experience I have gathered a blind will work if the deer are given a chance to get "used" to it. Therefore the idea of putting it out for a morning or evening hunt doesn't fare nearly as well as letting it up for weeks or months at a time. And, if you are like me, and hunt some public land, this is definetly not an option. I have had my summit climber for a few years now and love it.
Old 07-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

You are worried about scent control, but think a ground blind gives you an edge? Up a tree with proper setup you can get away with more movement than you may think and your scent often times sails right over a deer in close.A climber, or stick & hang on system is EXTREMELY flexible for picking stand locations. If you shop around you can find a very safe stand for a moderate price. Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's safer.Hunting off the ground can be successful and exciting, but my advice is to be readily willing to get up a tree.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:26 PM

Ok so now I am thinking so hard my brains are oozing out my nose. I am now thinking climber again, I know this is my decision but any input certainly helps. I just have a few questions regarding climbers. One: do they make alot of noise? Two: how much time does it take to get up and down? and three, do you suggest leaving one in the woods or do I have to lug in and out every day? Also how do deer respond to one day there is no stand in the treeand the next day there is one? or do you leave out like any other stand to let the deer get used to it? Thanks for pricking my mind. I want to make the best decision I can make so any more info would also be nice.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

I don't own a tree stand yet but eventually will. I would rather hunt from the ground and use natural cover and terain and then buy the stand I want and not settle for a lesser stand. Safety is a big deal with me since I have a family. I'm saving for a summit viper or something similiar. If you want to hunt from the ground you can use natural terrain and then just save for a good tree stand. I hunt tall rocks and points that give an advantage like a stand but that's only because I don't have one yet. Remember don't get discouraged if you don't have the ideal set up for the fall. Use what you have and have fun and save for what you really want.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

If money is an issue...make a stand that leans against the tree.
When I lived on our home small farm I built about 5 different stands.None cost over 20.00. I'd take aboutthree 2 x 4s , a hand saw , and hammer and nails. That was it. And I killed deer out of them. They would take less than 1 hour to build.

If it's public probety it can only be a ladder stand. They may cost about 60,00 if you build it to last. I have one out on public property right now.
I used 10 foot 2x 4s . lag screws , 3 coats of paint. I woul dof used pressure treated but too far to carry. It is very heavy and that's why it still there chained to a tree.[8D]

As far as safety...
#1 is the fixed stands + Hammer and nail type}Fixed structure
#2.Good ladder stands. { Secure stands}
#3.Climbers.
#4, Hang ons
I read this once in a Florida Game Magazine.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had good luck with cheap hang on stands,always wear a harness! They seem safe to me. Never had one slip etc. For the climbers you need a very straight tree. Not many where i hunt. I own five hang ons and set em up a month in advance (private land) leave em up all season.
Old 07-02-2006, 05:41 PM

The Lone Wolf hand climber model is only 15.5 pounds. Its absolutly silent. It has a molded 3D design that is almost invisable in the tree. Also has a molded bow holder. It is extremly simple to hang quietly and quickly with just popping the top off of the bottom and sliding a belt into a cam lock. I have had mine for 7 years. It is one of the origanal proto-types. Killed me alot of great bucks with that stand. I will also say that I have shot a couple good bucks with that stand on my back walking to my tree, and on occasion I have climbed non-climber trees and hung the stand like a portable. You can even put it on very crooked trees. When I used to guide most of my southern cliants would show up with Summit Vipers, they generally bought a lone Wolf hang on with sticks or a hand climber before they left after comparing the two stands. Like I said before, having a climber and a hang-on stick combo would be the ultimate set up goal for your future.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:20 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Chuck7

If money is an issue...make a stand that leans against the tree.
When I lived on our home small farm I built about 5 different stands.None cost over 20.00. I'd take aboutthree 2 x 4s , a hand saw , and hammer and nails. That was it. And I killed deer out of them. They would take less than 1 hour to build.

Hey that is a sweet idea! Why didnt I think of that before? I mean I know someone that makes his stands so maybe he could give me a hand. I am guessing I would have to put them out soon so the smell of new lumber gets out of them before the season. What is the best way to secure it to the tree? I saw on you post about the chain but would a normal cinch strap work? Thanks for the idea, I will be thinking about it more this week.

Quick Reply: Thinking of scrapping the idea of treestands altogether.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.