Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I would like to build an archery backstop.Any suggestions? >

I would like to build an archery backstop.Any suggestions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I would like to build an archery backstop.Any suggestions?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:01 AM

Default I would like to build an archery backstop.Any suggestions?

Hey I am interested in building an archery backstop for my target. The reason why is that I cant practice in my yard untill I do. This presents a problem because I can then only practice at my archery shop. Which is a half an hour away. This really limits my ability because I cant really see how good I would get if I could practice several times a week. So now on to the point. Have any of you made a backstop? If so what was it made out of and what was its design?Does a couple tarps wrapped together work? Also I have an old mattress(this is a stupididea but itcame to mind)would this work if wrapped in a tarp?This backstop needs to be pretty big because I live in the city. I already have a target I just feel uncomfortable shooting it without a backstop.Not to mention that it is illegal. I decided a couple weeks ago not to shoot in my yard untill I have a backstop. So now you know my problem and I hope you have some info that will help me out. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I would like to build an archery backstop.Any suggestions?

I use hay bales, stack three high and two deep with wood slate fencing behind it. It an arrow makes it through the target and the two bales of hay, the fencing will stop it.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. That actually reminded me of somthing. The owner of the land I just got permission to hunt is selling big round bales. Maybe that would work. Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Fork Horn

I used to fill a cardboard box with rolled-up carpeting and newspapers.
However, the carpeting left residue on the arrows.

Since then, I bit the bullet and bought aBlock and a Bionic Buck.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:16 PM

ORIGINAL: ilovehunting

Thanks for the suggestion. That actually reminded me of somthing. The owner of the land I just got permission to hunt is selling big round bales. Maybe that would work. Just a thought.
Make sure they're not TOO big... you don't want to go looking for an arrow in a haystack!
Old 06-29-2006, 03:00 PM

What I used to use years ago, and what I am "having made" right now, was/is a large burlap bag (4' x 4' x 2' approx. ) filled with scraps of sheet foam from the shipping dept. at my brother's job. Basically the same as some of the bags on the market now just bigger and cheaper. (both the burlap and foam were free, I just have to sew it into a bag, fill it and sew it closed)
Old 06-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen other guys around here do this and I am thinking of doing it myself. If you have a home and farm store like Tractor Supply Company, Orschelns, etc. they have very LARGE pieces of styrofoam that small trailers, Bush Hogs, etc. come packed in. They'll usually give it to you for free from what I understand since it is just trash to them. One section of my old archery club actually used this and glued the blocks together with liquid nails and staked it to the gound. It was real sturdy and stopped everything you could shoot at it. They used it as a backstop for a smaller 3-D area for those that didn't want to walk on the trails and to shoot at moving/swinging targets.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:01 PM

I'd avoid the solid styrofoam, especially with a very fast bow. You are likely tomelt the Stfoam onto the arrow with friction. What I use is the sheet foam that you see wrapped around products. It is a sheet maybe 1/8"-3/16" thick, comes anywhere up to 4'+ wide and XXXXX long. Kind of feel like a foam rubber but has very large bubbles in it. (not bubblewrap)
Old 06-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Hay bales! They are cheap and/or free if you know someone. Flip a farmer a 12 pack, he'll probably just give you 6-8 of them.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

I seem to remember suspendingpieces of carpet behind a target years ago. If I remember correctly, no arrows ever passed al the way through the carper remenants. The only thing is that this was back in my recurve days of old. So I don't know how it would wirk with today's compounds and more modern arrows.

Quick Reply: I would like to build an archery backstop.Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.