Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you say.... >

What do you say....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you say....

Old 06-28-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you say....

When I have to I try to bleat like a doe....not sure if it fools them but they generally stop. Most of the time I prefer to use a dab of scent over making sound to stop them in the open as I think it is less likely to get them on hair trigger.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have shot a few on the fly but try and grunt to get them to stop.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

pppssstttt up here
Old 06-29-2006, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I have a bowgrunter plus from a-way just hit that a few time it seems to work well
Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 AM

Not sure what works?! About 5 years back I had a buck on a doe's scent and I grunted, whistled, and even said, "Hey!" Either that buck was deaf or he was seriously concentrating. I mean I YELLED HEY! Not even a flinch! Amazing.

But more seriously, last year I stuck 2 deer during bow season. The first one was walking kinda steadily from the woods to a field and was about 20 yards from me. Nothing stopping that deer so I let out a quick whistle. She stopped, I released and she went down shortly after. That worked. About 3 weeks after that I nailed an 8-pointer at 6:30AM on a cold morning before Halloween. He was walking slow, nose to the ground, etc. He walked less than 10 yards out and I grunted...."uurrrrrr"...he stopped and I stuck him good.

So, a gentle peep of a whistle to a grunt has worked. I practice my grunting and whistle even during my practice shooting, too.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

im a big fan of the "sheep noise" a quick BAAAH..not drawn out like a sheep. but same general noise. i dont know where i picked that up but it works for me!! ive never had any run off. ive had maaaaaany running out of a drive stop at that noise. stopped a second too long lol. i had a group run out of a drive. slow down 5yds from me and hear my crack my flintlock hammer back and run. i did the noise again and they all froze at 25yds! too bad for them i had gloves on and bumped my hair trigger already set! i scared the chit outa the deer and myself. i got WHACKED with that brass buttplate HARD. i set it when they were at 5yds. but when they ran off i forgot it was already set and was moving the rifle their direction. big ole hole rigggggght below the deer i was getting ready to aim at lol
Old 06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Dominant Buck

The word "busted" just loud enough for them to hear it , it seems to fit and they stop every time .
Old 06-29-2006, 10:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: PA Bow/Flinter

I normally do a doe bleat....something like....Maaaaahh.
same, short Mah
Old 06-29-2006, 10:44 AM

I usually will make a short nasally "merrp".

However one time during shotgun season, a doe came running past my stand at 5 yards. There was a foot or more of snow on the ground so I never heard her until she was right below me. Startled, instead of giving her a "merrp" I started hissing at her! "ssssst, sssst!" I realized what I was doing, felt like an a$$ and immediately gave her a "merrp."

She stopped, walked back a few yards and then I gave her a slug.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Baahh. Like a sheep. Cant remember the last deer that I shot that i didn't have to stop with the old sheep call.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.