HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Rubber boots? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/146304-rubber-boots.html)

MNbowhunter26 06-27-2006 08:13 PM

Rubber boots?

people tell me that rubber boots are supose to leave no scent. is that true? If that is so do any of you where them? do they keep you feet warm on thos cool days? what is a good pair to buy?

[/align]

chiefks 06-27-2006 08:47 PM

RE: Rubber boots?

I wear knee high rubber boots. Got mine for about $40 at the local Coop farm store. They are insulated and do a good job of keeping my feetwarm. Wearing wool socks will help alot.I know some big buck hunters who wearhip waders going to and from thier stands. They hang them outside a month before season and only touch the tops of the waders with thier hands and they carry them in the back of the truck.Anything that will decrease a your scent trail through the woods is an advantage.

jag-mag 06-27-2006 08:53 PM

I use 16" rubber lacrosse non insulated boots for warm weather and I always spray them down with earth scent cover up. In the cold weather I
wear pack boots rubber bottoms leather tops with toe warmers also sprayed with earth scent cover up.

BowHuntingFool 06-27-2006 08:59 PM

La Crosse Alpha Burly! I don't leave home with out em'!:)

reed2404 06-27-2006 09:00 PM

I don't know if thay work are not but I all ways wear them when I deerhunt. I have aset of Lacrosse Burly with no insulate in them for bow season and a set of Rocky with 1000gram thinsulate thay keep my feet warm.

Xtec Shooter 06-27-2006 09:07 PM

Alpha Burleys! They are a bit spendy, but worth it. I only wear uninsulated rubber bootsfor early season and then wear hunting boots for the rest of the year. I have an issue with my feet sweating and rubber boots don't breathe that well. lol

Pat

Greg / MO 06-27-2006 09:31 PM

Rubber boots sprayed liberally with some sort of scent-away product are about the best I've found so far. I stress the best so far; they are not foolproof.

Case in point: I was hunting a new area a few years back, and walked in to a relatively open corner of some woods. I point out the openness because I didn't brush against anything while walking in, yet as I sat in my climber an hour later and watched a young forkhorn circle around, I swear it looked like someone hit him with a 2x4 smack in the face when he came across my scent trail where I entered the woods. Now, I'm religious with scent control, to the point I dry off with a towel stored with earth-scent wafers. I tuck the legs of my pants into my LaCrosse boots, yet this young deer picked up enough scent left behind from my rubber boots to make it look like Mike Tyson had just delivered a straight cross to his chin!

Rubber boots are great, but not foolproof.

Chuck7 06-28-2006 02:59 AM

La Crosse....they are excellent. I always wear them in central FLorida. I don't beleive a snake can penetrate them. One season so far and still no leaks.
c7

shaftnem 06-28-2006 03:20 AM

I do wear them but, like Greg said, they are not foolproof. I was filming a bowhunting friend of mine last year. He has a few acres right in the middle of the town he lives in that is crawling with deer. We were only a few hundred yards from his house. His wife got up that morning, not realizing we were hunting in the back yard and let their yellow lab out of the house. The dog came out, hit our scent, and followed us step for step to the bottom of our tree. He walked in a circle for a minute, having obviously lost the scent, and eventually looked right up at us. Both of us were wearing Scent-Lok and rubber boots. I think both products work to some extent but when conditions are right,nothing is going to keep a deer from smelling you. I still think that rubber boots are a cheap investment for what they can accomplish in certain situations.

Xtremebone 06-28-2006 05:29 AM

I wear the Muck boots now so much nicer then rubber. Lighter, warmer the breath better, and leave as little scent as rubber. I just spray down them down good. But those kind of boots really are the best for the early fall.

kevin1 06-28-2006 05:31 AM

Can you smell rubber ? Think about it .

BowBuilder 06-28-2006 05:52 AM

I have the Alpha Burly's as well...and they are great. I have seen more deer while wearing them. I think the sent is different, and doesn't alarm the deer...yet. Once they attach that sent to a hunter, it might be different. I have had some nice bucks trail me in during rut while wearing the Alpha Burly's.

Rick James 06-28-2006 06:23 AM

I also wear rubber boots. I have a pair of 800 gram thinsulate lined alpha burley's by Lacrosse. I love them and they can be worn during early season and as late season as you care if you line good socks in them. They feel like slippers inside, and Ican easily put several miles on them in a day without sore feet. Get them a size bigger. I am also very peticular about scent control, and rubber boots aren't the solution to it all thats for sure. I have also had similar situations as what Greg described above. I store my rubber boots in a seperate large tupperware container that I keep leaves, sticks, and earth scent wafers in, and also spray the heck out of the whole boot as I am dressing right before I walk in the woods. I won't wear my boots or clothes in the car, and get dressed once I pull into my intended hunting spot, and store everything in scent tight bags or containers. I have also had big old mature does pick my scent trail up that I could clearly see from my stand, and they nearly turn inside out trying to get out of there. Scent control is very important however it is no replacement for well planned entrance and exit routes, and hunting stands depending on the wind.

BUCKINTHEWOODZ 06-28-2006 06:35 AM

I wear Muck boots also, The woody max,

chiefks 06-28-2006 06:39 AM

Do you fella's with La Cross boots have any issues with them getting the boots on or off? My brother has a pair of insulated La Cross boots and is going to have me sell them on ebay just because he has a hard time getting them back off his feet once they are on. They fit good oncehe has them on,so the bootsarenot to small.

Trembow 06-28-2006 07:27 AM

ORIGINAL: chiefks

Do you fella's with La Cross boots have any issues with them getting the boots on or off? My brother has a pair of insulated La Cross boots and is going to have me sell them on ebay just because he has a hard time getting them back off his feet once they are on. They fit good oncehe has them on,so the bootsarenot to small.
I wonder what model he has? I have an older pair of Lacrosse camo burleys with 1000 grams of thinsulate. They fit perfectly, which is firm in the ankle but just a smidge loose in the toe area with one pair of wool socks, and I have no problem getting them on or off at all.

I also have a pair of Rocky uninsulated rubber boots that are supposedly my size and easy to get on, but nearly impossible to get off after just an hour or two in them, even with slippery socks!

Rick James 06-28-2006 07:48 AM

no problems with fit on my alpha burleys. The thing I like most about them is I can wear a thin sweat wicking sock during spring turkey season, or a super thick wool one during late archery and the boots seem to fit fine no matter what I have for socks.

Dr Andy 06-28-2006 07:58 AM

Your perspiration is making them moist and harder to remove. try spraying your feet with unscented anti-perspirant(not deodorant)

BobCo19-65 06-28-2006 09:07 AM

Personally, I had rubber boots, but never liked them much. Number one rule to me is to stay dry while hunting. I never had a pair of rubber boots that didn't make my feet sweat (with any type of sock). Granted, the smell from the sweat can not go through the boots, but it has to go somewhere.

Lx lungbuster7 06-28-2006 09:23 AM

most of the rubber hunting boots you can buy when sprayed with a scent killing spay will work. like most of the other guys said they are not fool proof nor is most other boots

Dave at Work 06-28-2006 12:32 PM

Are the upper parts of Muck Boots made from rubber or just the soles?

WKP Todd 06-28-2006 01:05 PM

Rubber boots leave just as much scent as any other boot (IMHO). This was brought to my attention by a guy who has killed more P&Y & B&C bucks with a bow than anyone I've heard of. Smell you're rubber boots, then smell a cloth boot, which one has the most "Stink". Remember, you will leave human scent regardless, as it's just impossible to eliminate it all. I've actually had more success not wearing rubber boots since I looked at it from a different perspective. Most importantly, don't wear you're boots anywhere except the woods (including driving to and from an area).

deer.man1 06-29-2006 12:38 AM

Ive worn rubber boots for deerhunting and scouting for the last 25 years. Started with Northeners from farm and fleet, then Rockys, which I thought was hard to get on and off, then to La Crosse Burlys, which Im presently using and I really like. I treat them like any other piece of my bowhunting equipment, keep them clean and oder free and they will serve you well. One thing Ive noticed with rubber boots is that after a few years it seems that the inside oder of the boots gets stronger.You have to keep in mind that every time time you take a step with rubber boots a puff of air or oder is emitted out the top of youre boot, acting some what like a chimney. For that reason I always wear my scentblocker pantleg over my boots, I never wear them tucked in my boots. I watch a lot of hunting videos every year. I really like the Drurys. But I see alot off hunters in videos wear their pantlegs inside their rubber boots. Then last year I was watching a Drury video and the president and founder of scentblocker was on their. The Drurys are promoting scentblocker being that their one of their sponsers. Anyway he went on to say how hunters should always wear their scentblocker pantlegs over the boots, not tucked in, to help contain any oder being emitted out the top. I hope this little tid bit can be of use to some of you hunters. I have a question that I hope some one can answer back on. Has anyone out their tried the pinnacle zipper boot with Gore-Tex Scent-Loc, its sold thru cabels I see. Good luck hunting this fall.

nodog 06-29-2006 03:41 AM

Good info Deer-man. Like so many things though the situation dictates the best approach. One place I hunt requires a walk through knee high grass, a mile and a half of soaking wet grass. Getting your pants soaked in the wee hours of the morning and possibly not coming out till it's dark again is not good. I suppose I could wear some rain gear but heating up is also an issue.

I wear rubber, not my favorite for comfort, but good for hunting, and yes rubber does smell butwill game get freaked at it? Does rubber linger like human scent? Is human scent just like skunk scent only less potent? Or is rubber more like, it's there or it's not?

Wolverine insulated (not good in the very wet places). Comfortable and dryer thus warmer than rubber.

And in the right place knee high moccasins, my favorite, seasoned well, with socks. I love everything about them when it's warm and dry. There OK when it's warm and wet, but absolutely no cool weather, in a stand especially.