Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots?

Old 06-28-2006, 12:32 PM

Default RE: Rubber boots?

Are the upper parts of Muck Boots made from rubber or just the soles?
Old 06-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rubber boots leave just as much scent as any other boot (IMHO). This was brought to my attention by a guy who has killed more P&Y & B&C bucks with a bow than anyone I've heard of. Smell you're rubber boots, then smell a cloth boot, which one has the most "Stink". Remember, you will leave human scent regardless, as it's just impossible to eliminate it all. I've actually had more success not wearing rubber boots since I looked at it from a different perspective. Most importantly, don't wear you're boots anywhere except the woods (including driving to and from an area).
Old 06-29-2006, 12:38 AM

Ive worn rubber boots for deerhunting and scouting for the last 25 years. Started with Northeners from farm and fleet, then Rockys, which I thought was hard to get on and off, then to La Crosse Burlys, which Im presently using and I really like. I treat them like any other piece of my bowhunting equipment, keep them clean and oder free and they will serve you well. One thing Ive noticed with rubber boots is that after a few years it seems that the inside oder of the boots gets stronger.You have to keep in mind that every time time you take a step with rubber boots a puff of air or oder is emitted out the top of youre boot, acting some what like a chimney. For that reason I always wear my scentblocker pantleg over my boots, I never wear them tucked in my boots. I watch a lot of hunting videos every year. I really like the Drurys. But I see alot off hunters in videos wear their pantlegs inside their rubber boots. Then last year I was watching a Drury video and the president and founder of scentblocker was on their. The Drurys are promoting scentblocker being that their one of their sponsers. Anyway he went on to say how hunters should always wear their scentblocker pantlegs over the boots, not tucked in, to help contain any oder being emitted out the top. I hope this little tid bit can be of use to some of you hunters. I have a question that I hope some one can answer back on. Has anyone out their tried the pinnacle zipper boot with Gore-Tex Scent-Loc, its sold thru cabels I see. Good luck hunting this fall.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good info Deer-man. Like so many things though the situation dictates the best approach. One place I hunt requires a walk through knee high grass, a mile and a half of soaking wet grass. Getting your pants soaked in the wee hours of the morning and possibly not coming out till it's dark again is not good. I suppose I could wear some rain gear but heating up is also an issue.

I wear rubber, not my favorite for comfort, but good for hunting, and yes rubber does smell butwill game get freaked at it? Does rubber linger like human scent? Is human scent just like skunk scent only less potent? Or is rubber more like, it's there or it's not?

Wolverine insulated (not good in the very wet places). Comfortable and dryer thus warmer than rubber.

And in the right place knee high moccasins, my favorite, seasoned well, with socks. I love everything about them when it's warm and dry. There OK when it's warm and wet, but absolutely no cool weather, in a stand especially.