Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rubber boots?

Old 06-27-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Rubber boots?

people tell me that rubber boots are supose to leave no scent. is that true? If that is so do any of you where them? do they keep you feet warm on thos cool days? what is a good pair to buy?

[/align]
Old 06-27-2006, 08:47 PM

Default RE: Rubber boots?

I wear knee high rubber boots. Got mine for about $40 at the local Coop farm store. They are insulated and do a good job of keeping my feetwarm. Wearing wool socks will help alot.I know some big buck hunters who wearhip waders going to and from thier stands. They hang them outside a month before season and only touch the tops of the waders with thier hands and they carry them in the back of the truck.Anything that will decrease a your scent trail through the woods is an advantage.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Typical Buck

I use 16" rubber lacrosse non insulated boots for warm weather and I always spray them down with earth scent cover up. In the cold weather I
wear pack boots rubber bottoms leather tops with toe warmers also sprayed with earth scent cover up.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

La Crosse Alpha Burly! I don't leave home with out em'!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:00 PM

I don't know if thay work are not but I all ways wear them when I deerhunt. I have aset of Lacrosse Burly with no insulate in them for bow season and a set of Rocky with 1000gram thinsulate thay keep my feet warm.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
Typical Buck

Alpha Burleys! They are a bit spendy, but worth it. I only wear uninsulated rubber bootsfor early season and then wear hunting boots for the rest of the year. I have an issue with my feet sweating and rubber boots don't breathe that well. lol

Pat
Old 06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rubber boots sprayed liberally with some sort of scent-away product are about the best I've found so far. I stress the best so far; they are not foolproof.

Case in point: I was hunting a new area a few years back, and walked in to a relatively open corner of some woods. I point out the openness because I didn't brush against anything while walking in, yet as I sat in my climber an hour later and watched a young forkhorn circle around, I swear it looked like someone hit him with a 2x4 smack in the face when he came across my scent trail where I entered the woods. Now, I'm religious with scent control, to the point I dry off with a towel stored with earth-scent wafers. I tuck the legs of my pants into my LaCrosse boots, yet this young deer picked up enough scent left behind from my rubber boots to make it look like Mike Tyson had just delivered a straight cross to his chin!

Rubber boots are great, but not foolproof.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Dominant Buck

La Crosse....they are excellent. I always wear them in central FLorida. I don't beleive a snake can penetrate them. One season so far and still no leaks.
c7
Old 06-28-2006, 03:20 AM

I do wear them but, like Greg said, they are not foolproof. I was filming a bowhunting friend of mine last year. He has a few acres right in the middle of the town he lives in that is crawling with deer. We were only a few hundred yards from his house. His wife got up that morning, not realizing we were hunting in the back yard and let their yellow lab out of the house. The dog came out, hit our scent, and followed us step for step to the bottom of our tree. He walked in a circle for a minute, having obviously lost the scent, and eventually looked right up at us. Both of us were wearing Scent-Lok and rubber boots. I think both products work to some extent but when conditions are right,nothing is going to keep a deer from smelling you. I still think that rubber boots are a cheap investment for what they can accomplish in certain situations.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:29 AM

I wear the Muck boots now so much nicer then rubber. Lighter, warmer the breath better, and leave as little scent as rubber. I just spray down them down good. But those kind of boots really are the best for the early fall.

Quick Reply: Rubber boots?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.