Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Filming a Hunt

Old 06-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default Filming a Hunt

Does any one here film their own hunts? I just got started and wanted to know if anyone uses their computer to edit the hunt. I have the Movie Maker 2 program and used it but i want something with a little more features,any suggestions, im willing to spend at least 100 bucks on software. also if you would like to see a filming/photograpy forum go to the wishlist forum and post in my suggestion.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Filming a Hunt

i dont really now but im hoping to start filming this year also, let me know what u figure out

Old 06-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Been filming hunts for many many years. Greg / MO can attest to some of my footage. I intend on buying a new puter with video maniplating programs.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

I have been toying with the idea of filming my hunts and have a question or 2, if you don't mind my asking.
What type of video camera and where are you mounting the camera?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

sideways i have a sony handycam it cost me about $300 i just got it and havent filmed a hunt, but you can mount it on a tripod or there is a thing its sorta like an arm that you attach to a tree when your in your tree stand. go to cabelas website it should be there.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: SIDEWAYS

I have been toying with the idea of filming my hunts and have a question or 2, if you don't mind my asking.
What type of video camera and where are you mounting the camera?
Thanks
I too have a Sony Handicam but mine was a $1000 camera in it's day. I'm looking into the newer Mini DV's. I usually just have mine hanging in the tree with me and film what I don't intend on shooting. If I'm with someone, I'd also hang/hold it until I need it. I do have a tree bracket for the camera but I'm not so much a fan for it. If you are alone and intend on filming your own shot, it's a must. The bow mounted ones are okay however you'll never get the actual shot because of bow jump, it makes the camera jump and film fuzzy. I don't know of anyone who uses one that doesn't have that camera jump on the shot. They are nice in theory.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:24 PM

I've been filming for the past 7 years. A good place to start looking at different video stuff is http://www.huntingfootage.comwhere you can post video as well as learn what allot of folks are doing. Different editing software, hardware, tricks and secrets. Check it out.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:32 AM

Pinnacle makes some pretty good editing software for reasonable prices. Their $100.00 software should be all you need for editing film for your own personal use. If you were looking into it for anything more serious, I'd suggest getting something a little more upgraded. As far as the treepod goes, a good one is going to set you back a few hundred dollars. You need one with a fluid head to get any decent pre-shot footage. The cheaper ones are usually not stable enough to produce film of any quality. However, the good ones are usually heavy, relatively bulky and pretty much just a huge pain in the butt to get up the tree. Once you get them set up, and get used to them, they can be really nice.

Rob, is there not a picture of you {somewhere on this forum} filming with a GL2? I thought that was what you were filming with.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 AM

I do wildlife video and edit with Adobe Premiere w/pinnacle capture. My camera is a canon XL1s. It's fun editing. I add music, transitions and narration. I have also sold about 250 tapes to help pay for my equipment.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a sony pd-170 with a sennheiser wireless mic. I have probably over $5,000 into it. Its awesome! I havent got to much into the editing part yet. I plan on getting a system soon and I would love to get a HD camera. Believe it or not the gorilla tree arm for 35 bucks works pretty nice. Not bad for a starter arm. I am sure you will have a blast filming. I know my wife and I do.
Rob maybe be sometime we can film together you dont live to far from me.

Quick Reply: Filming a Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.