Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pursuit of Individual Buck? >

Pursuit of Individual Buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pursuit of Individual Buck?

Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Pursuit of Individual Buck?

I've never pursued a buck from a previous year. I've seen a buck earlier in the season and said "boy I'd liketo shoot him" and did so twice. I'm not at the level/situation to try and pin one down one year to the next. I am very impressed by those who can.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:26 PM

I plan on pursuing a buck from last year as well. He was at least a ten and boy was he tall and wide.

Rick: His antler looks like it dripped down into a big blob. Pretty wild looking!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I want either this one

Or this one

Old 06-23-2006, 12:09 AM

last fall here in iowa i got word of a moster 12 piont that was roaming a state park and off in to my old bosses land wich was about 3/4 a mile away. you know how the old story goes about a deer has about 1 mile of travel.....not this deer. it was spotted in about 5 mile radius of the state park. well one cool mid november morning i was in my treestand and i used a doe bleet "the can" and i could hear a deer coming down the ridge infront of me and off to my right. there was some low hangin trees it was thick. i could see i deer moving toward me and 45 yards away. well heput his head down to eat somethin and a saw his rack!! i have never been so shakey before in my life. he came down the trail and stopped behind a tree about 12" around. i'll i was thinkin was take to more steps and your all mine. he stayed there a couple of mins. mean while i'm having a slight heart attack because another nice buck nothing compared to this monster in front of me walks right under me with this monster sitting there watching. the smaller buck walked up the bigger one and they both walked off together. never been more sadend in my life. later during gun season my boss had a wide open shot at him but he said he was so dumbfounded on how big he was he couldn't pull the trigger......yeah right i dont think he can shoot! i talked to dnr that manages the statepark and he said yeah i've seen him. hes a very avid deer hunter and said he would score in th 170 to 180 typical. hes still alive as far as i know...........maybe this year
Old 06-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I admire the guys who are good enough to hunt one buck for two or three years and get him. That's awesome.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the fun part of archery hunting. I scout all year especially in the winter with snow on the ground. As archery season approaches I will hang a treestand in the area near the main route of travel. Eventually I will pick up on one or two quality buck and set my hunting stands to surround the area taking into consideration wind direction and path of travel. I set my sights on the two buck and they are the only deer I will harvest. If I strike out there is next year.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This will be the 3rd season in pursueing the same deer. Heshould be 5 1/2 years old this year. I have both sides of his shed antlers from last season, and one side from 2 years ago. He's stilldoing well, livingin the same area, and i've had a couple sightings of him this spring already. Can't wait for season to open. He should easily surpass the 200" mark this year, like he did last year.

If I can end up arrowing this guy in the fall, it'd literally be a dream come true. I've seen bucks this big, but never had a history with one, like I do this buck.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope you get him man. I remember the pic of those sheds. Post them again if your would so our newer members can see. Good luck this season.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the double brow tine buck I posted. This may be the one, but its still early.
I know of another with a drop tine but have not gotten pics... yet.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went to Kansas last year and found a once in a lifetime buck. I only had six days and hunted hard for this one buck, including passing on two nice 150 class deer. He made it through the season and I'll be back on the stand in late october/early nov to continue my pursuit. Like many, I use game cams and scouting to find one or two bucks that I'd like to harvest. Usually stick to the plan up until the rut, thenall bets are off for three or four weeks, then back to a predictable pattern. It doesn't mean I'll pass meat up...does that is. I just enjoy trying to outsmart a mature buck. Adds to a great season and when he's harvested, very rewarding.

kelly

Quick Reply: Pursuit of Individual Buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.