Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is the best way to approach a landowner? >

What is the best way to approach a landowner?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is the best way to approach a landowner?

Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 AM

Default What is the best way to approach a landowner?

I am just wondering what some of you guys do and what tends to work best. I also have a couple questions.Do you ask for permission to hust land that you already know someone is hunting or do you just let it go?
Does one way of approach work better than others? Like calling or going to their house or what? Thanks for any info. Just want to know the best way because I will soon be starting the ask for permission stuff. Thanks
Old 06-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What is the best way to approach a landowner?

The best approach is face to face , with you dressed neatly in street clothes , hat in hand , and very polite . The way you speak to them varies by their response to your introduction of yourself , watch their face and proceed accordingly . After you introduce yourself be direct so that you don't waste their time , tell them that you'd like to discuss the possibility of hunting on their property . At that point they'll either talk about it or send you packing . If they're open to the idea then go into details like what you would like to hunt , when , etc . Do more listening to them than speaking , never interupt them or try to argue with them , you won't win . That covers the basics .

Pretty much act like they have a choice car sitting in the yard that you'd love to have and would be willing to work for . Landowners always have things they need to do but don't have time for , offer to do them if your skills permit . Farmers love varmint hunters , offer to blast the woodchucks for a dairy , beef , or horse farmer . Make sure to point out that you'll offer them indemnity for accidents in writing , most states have laws governing that , my state's DNR website even has a form you can download describing them . Trying for land that someone else already has permission for can go either way , my experience has been that they won't to avoid conflict with the other hunters , especially if they're family . It doesn't hurt to ask though . A "No Hunting" sign doesn't always mean what it says , but don't press it .

You're going to get more no's than yes's , don't be discouraged by the no's . Remember , you're selling yourself and what you can offer the landowner , if they like what they see you're halfway home . Ask around with people you know who have friends or family that own land and have them make your introduction for you , I've found that the "good ol' boy system" can be a potent tool for getting permission . Someone they know asks for someone who knows you , which tells the landowner that it's probably someone trustworthy or the family member/friend wouldn't be asking . Above all else , show respect for the landowner and their time when you first meet them , a firm handshake , looking directly into their eyes , and a respectful tone has netted me more entries than anything else .
Old 06-16-2006, 10:32 AM

Thank you so much for the info kevin1 I really appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice Kevin especially the Firm introductory hand shake and look in the eye. That speaks volumes about a man. Also always use Sir and Mam I don't care if there 20 years younger then you. It is the first word out of your mouth and the first sign of respect. One thing I have learned is NEVER, NEVER try to gain permission over the phone to me that shows a person is lazy and don't want to take the time to come and see me face to face how does that speak about any work they say they will do. Now that might make me sound funny but belive land owners can be funny and paticular about who they let on their land and a voice on the telephone don't say too much about the person. Good Luck Mike
Old 06-16-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the hardest part about hunting IMO.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just do it..... Actually getting the nerve to knock is the hardest part. Also, make sure you are very friendly, even if they turn you down. I've gotten permission from several farmers even after an initial "no".
Old 06-16-2006, 12:16 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: The Lone Wolf

Just do it..... Actually getting the nerve to knock is the hardest part. Also, make sure you are very friendly, even if they turn you down. I've gotten permission from several farmers even after an initial "no".
Same here , even from a couple who had "Posted - No Hunting" signs on their fence .
Old 06-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

When all else fails, break out the Benjamins.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

marry the landowners' daughter!
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

I've had the best success when I would say something like "well this sure is a great piece of land you have here..." If you start out by complementing their property they might be more open to letting you hunt on it.

Also, offer to pick up any trash you find and don't be afraid toshare some venison with them (if they like it).

If you do get permission to hunt there, stop by after the season to say thank you and again before the start of the next season tomake surethat you can still hunt there. If you are respectful and friendly you shouldn't have any problems.

Quick Reply: What is the best way to approach a landowner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.