Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand? >

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Old 06-16-2006, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

"I know you soil suckers will disagree,"

LOL got to remember that one liner.

Best advise is to parctise the shot and know for sure or be the bearer ofone of the many stories about how it got away.

Lets say though that you do get a shot and miss. There are enviromental factors that can be used in order for you to get a second chance. There was a rapid stream once that gave me that second shot. Deer started looking for something, but didn't know where to look, too late.Just saing don't be preprogramed to think that a missed shot is the end and while practising it's good to work on getting more than one off.

You can find the math behind what's going on with a search. Pretty interesting.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: davidmil

So if I sight in a pendulum sight from a treestand at say 25 yards, then I will be dead on at 5, 10, 15 and 20?
That's assuming you're on fairly level ground and within a few close feet of the distance you sighted the thing in at. If you sight it in at 12 feet and then climb to 25, you're screwed.
Hmmm,thisdoesnt seem like you have tested with the samebow, the same poundage, the same arrowsandpendulum sight that I have tested with.I can shoot from level ground out to 20 yards,from5 to 20 feet up, and out to25 yards without having to adjust or compensate anything, even straight down. I have multiple stands in my yard and shooting elevations including shooting off of one section of my roof thats 18' high, along with a 10" platform stand and alock on thats at 22'.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pendulum sight and practice shooting from elevation
Old 07-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Dominant Buck

I site mine in from the stand. This morning I was sited in on level ground .When I shot from aboveI found I was 4 inches too high. I readjustde my site from above snce that is where I'll be shooting from.
C7
Old 08-29-2006, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of today's modern fast bows really don't need compensation for a few yards. If you want to get technical about it though, use the geometry method for a right triangle ( which is what is created here,by height in tree X distance from base of tree to target = distance from treestand to target. ) a2 times b2 =c2.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:49 AM
Typical Buck

I didn't read through the other post so I am sorry if this is a repeat post.

You don't compensate. You practice from the elevation that you plan to hunt at. Set up a stand in your yard if you can. Shoot from the garage roof. I have a ladder stand that I use just for pratice. If you are sighted in from up high then you won't have to compensate.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I will typically draw the bow and anchor as if the target was directly in front of me. Once anchored, I will then bend at the waist to bring my whole upper body facing down till I am on target. Watch the bubble closely, then start to pull through the shot. I don't really need compensate then.
Yep, same here

Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

I get in the tree stand , get someone to move a target until my range finder reads 20 yards. I then shoot and tune my sight if needed. Repeat for 30 and 40/
Old 08-29-2006, 10:39 AM
Typical Buck

I used to worry about this alot but found in practice it just dont matter. If your shooting dots you may hit the top of it instead of the center but on a deer its not mattered for me yet.
Someone said a pendulum works straight down. I cant see how thats possible. If its swinging you'ld be looking straight down at the top of it & if it didn't swing you'll be shooting high.

If your shooting even close to straight down you'll shoot high as theres no arrow drop at all. Think of the geometry involved.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

lever dude, shooting straight down, you'll actually shoot low because your arrow starts below your line of sight with the pins. Pendulum sights do work for staight down and very in close shooting, IMO that is thier best function.

Quick Reply: How do you compensate for shooting from an elevated stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.