Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How old is your bow? >

How old is your bow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How old is your bow?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How old is your bow?

Champion Stinger 7 years old. Smooth and easy to shoot.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

I'm still using my first bow, a PSE Beast that I bought after I got my drivers license so that would make it 7 years old. Been through several different types of arrows, rests, sights and it still shoots pretty good....just slow...but it's still lethal. I also have my dad's old Red Wind Hunter recurve that he bought when he was in 8th grade which makes it about 36 years old......it's a great bow to shoot when I feel I need more challenge.

I'm thinking I'll buy a new bow in the next 2 years. No, I don't NEED a new bow I want one!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let's see about 5 years give or take. As for replacing, I think the string should probably be changed maybe every year and cables as needed, and cams, etc. I would say like a classic car, if you take care of it, and baby it, bet it will last almost forever! Just MHO.[8D]
Old 06-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

mobowhuntr

titleAndStar(3534,0,false,false,"","")
Addicted to HNI

[align=center][/align]
Bought my UltraTec in February. As far as how old is too old....well, if there is nothing wrong mechanically, it will still shoot. Just do some maintenance work on it. Grease the limb pockets, new strings, that kind of stuff. If it is mechanically sound, theoretically it will shoot forever.
Its scary how much we think alike, I was going to say the same thing unitl I read your post,now becasue its been said by you, I will just have to add a agreed at the end.

Here are the bows I own from oldest to newest. All are in perfect working order and are fully set up with sight, rest, quiver, andstabilizer along with their own arrows ready to go if needs be.

1991 Golden Eagle Formula 3-D (hunting bow used from 91 till 96)
1997Martin Fury (hunting bow used from 1997 till 2004)
2004 Mathews Conquest 3 (Paper punching blueberrytarget bow only)
2005 Mathews Switchback (main hunting bow)
2006 Mathews Switchback XT (it is and will be aback up hunting bow to the 05 Swithcback)

If I get a chance to head back east and hunt whitetails I want to use and make more memories with one of my older bows. I of course will take a current bow as well, but the idea of shooting a whitetail buck with the Golden Eagle just makes me smile for some reason. In its day it was a smooth shooter, and at 80 pounds it can still fling a heavyarrow plenty fast. Same can be said about the Martin Fury, its still a speed deamon by todays standards. If I draw out on Moose here in my home state of Idaho I will use it along with a very heavy arrow. This combo has worked awesome for me and heavy arrows(600 grains)moving fast (250-260 f/s)blow through a elk like swiss cheese. I don't think a moose will be much different.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:02 PM

2003 Hoyt razortec that I love. After this hunting season I may get a new bow. I don't know.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:44 PM

Its scary how much we think alike, I was going to say the same thing unitl I read your post,now becasue its been said by you, I will just have to add a agreed at the end.
HEY NOW.......just because I've said it don't make it gospel......[&:] BUT, because you agree......well.......dangit, it just must be true. And, since we are obviously both geniuses........must be true. [&:][&o]

If I get a chance to head back east and hunt whitetails.....
Here's to making that come true.

Hey, if you think we think alike.....that must make me a bit smarter than I thought.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

my bear polar ltd which i hunt with is like 27 years old. still shoots great... my bow's older than i am.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

2006 Bowtech Old Glory...I've had it now for 2.5 days!
Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'll want a new bow long before I need a new bow.