HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Does the bar on climbing stands.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/144741-does-bar-climbing-stands.html)

ilovehunting 06-10-2006 02:08 PM

Does the bar on climbing stands....

Hey I was wondering if the bar on the front of climbers ever gets in the way? I am looking at several Sumitts and I like what I see but. It looks like if a deer ever came and caught me off gaurd I wouldnt be able to take the shot sitting or does the front bar not getin the way? Any help would be great thanks.

MOTOWNHONKEY 06-10-2006 02:25 PM

RE: Does the bar on climbing stands....

Actually it helps give a sence of security. You can hit your bow on it if your not careful and spook game but it is a little comforting when your 30 feet up.

BowBuilder 06-10-2006 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

Actually it helps give a sence of security. You can hit your bow on it if your not careful and spook game but it is a little comforting when your 30 feet up.
I agree with the comforting feel.

The only problem I have had with my bar is if the deer is directly under the stand, or at a severe down angle. You just can't take that shot...but since that is not a wise shot to take anyway, it really isn't a problem at all. And I do all (well, most) ofmy shooting sitting down.

BOB 22 06-10-2006 02:54 PM

I have the summitt without the bar.I love the stand but would definitlely buy one with a bar for 2 reasons, the security of the bar while in the stand, also for climbing up and down the tree.If your hands ever slipped off the top part of the stand while climbing without the bar theres nothing to stop you from falling backwards except your saftey belt

PurcellSportingGoods 06-10-2006 03:12 PM

It definitely gives a good sense of security.......

Depending on how you are positioned....yes you can take shots sitting....I have successfully.....

And yes, like mentioned above....you can definitely hit your bow off of it making noise which could possiblly spook deer...and yes, I have done this as well.

I prefer "barless" types though, but sometimes I use my climber that has the bar in the front....

mobow 06-10-2006 03:15 PM

No, the bar does NOT get in the way of your bow. I shoot out of mine all the time and the bow has never hit the bar.

ButchA 06-10-2006 03:21 PM

Same with me.... I like the bar on my Summit Viper X4. It gives me an added sense of security knowing its there.

superrman77 06-10-2006 03:23 PM

I have owned a few summits and I own one now without the bar.The bar is nice if you are gunhunting.I have caught my cam on the bar before while taking a shot.But it was my fault not the treestands.While bowhunting I do not want anything toaffect my chances.I just feel the bar is a disadvantage to a bowhunter. Get a summit with a footrest and you are in heaven.

Illini_Sportsman 06-10-2006 04:43 PM

Good for security, as has already been said, and also for sit-down/stand-up climbing where you can rest while you're bringing the lower portion of the stand up with your feet.

m00sedrool 06-10-2006 05:14 PM

What's all this talk about security? Who needs security while hanging from a swaying tree by a cable or chainwhile 20-25 feet from the ground?? :) I have an API Extreme Bowhunter that is open in the front and feel totally comfortable now, but it took a little getting used to the first time or two after using wrap around, stand up-sit down style stands. I know API gets a bad rap from some, but I have no complaints with this stand at all.