HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Which is harder to hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/144679-harder-hunt.html)

GregH 06-09-2006 03:33 PM

Which is harder to hunt?

Just wondering which deer you think is harder to hunt.

The agricultural buck,

or

The big woods buck.

I really don't have any experience taking big woods bucks, but I have taken 14 mature agricultural bucks. These bucks , by no stretch of the imagination, were easy to take. Just wondering what you all thought.

mobow 06-09-2006 07:43 PM

RE: Which is harder to hunt?

Not being an expert on either, I say big woods bucks. I've hunted both terrrains before and the nice thing about agricultural is normally, at least in Northern Mo, there are fingers of woods scattered about. Well, the deer are pretty darn easy to find. Set up in a finger and wait them out. They'll be by sometime, guaranteed.

Big woods bucks are challenging because they could be anywhere, at anytime. Yeah, there are funnels they will use, but they come from every direction you could think of and some you didn't.

Matt/TN 06-09-2006 08:05 PM

well agricultural bucks or farm bucks are much easier considering they see humans and human traffic quite a bit and arent as skiddish.When you take a big wood or mountain buck then you can really brag,their instincts and senses are a whole lot stronger.It is the ultimate feat to take a mature mountain deer.

RDHunter 06-09-2006 11:19 PM

Big wood's bucks are harder to hunt because they know when something diffrent or not natural in there home.

Agricultural bucks are not that skidish about human intruders.

TJF 06-10-2006 02:30 AM

If you aren't picky and shot any aged buck that walks by... ag land for sure. Just the simply fact you can scout them easier and see where they are bedding or feeding.

I've only hunted woods one year when I was living in a different area.4 hunts, 11 bucks seen and walked out dragging a 142 class buck. Seemed pretty easy but maybeI just got lucky. I surecan't say I am an expert hunting bigwoods nor will I say it is easier then hunting ag land bucks. Just not enough experience hunting woods.

Hunting mature bucks here is challenging. Mostly ag land with very few trees. I hunt on the ground. They mature bucks here seem pretty skiddish to me. While they might be used to tractors and combines... blunder though a big bucks bedding area or botch up a hunt on one. They will go under cover fast, become nocturnal, move to another area a short ways away or all of them. Easy... no!!!

Food sources are constantlychanging as harvest/falls workgoes on. Once waterfoul season opens... the deer are bounced all over since both deer and hunter use the same areas. Rut always falls during rifle season. With driving deer as themain method for most, the mature bucks don't move during the day much unless pushed out of their bedding areas. Makes for tough bow hunting. I wish we had more trees here just for that fact. After rifle seasonyou deal with the cold, snow and very, veryskiddish deer.

Just hard to say which would be tougher hunting when talking mature bucks. Each has it challenges. I sure enjoy hunting ag land bucks.

Tim

GregH 06-10-2006 05:37 AM

ORIGINAL: TJF

Just hard to say which would be tougher hunting when talking mature bucks. Each has it challenges. I sure enjoy hunting ag land bucks.

Tim
That's about the bottom line. Good post.

nodog 06-10-2006 06:25 AM

Just the fact that you have to get them out, and I have from both, I know which one is harder.:D"If we go just a little farther in the big boy's are there" Miles later...:DWon't happen in a farm field.

Were trying moutain bikes this year. The Cabel's cart last year made it about 100 yards. adding 30 pounds to an already heavy deer, and only about 2 miles too go. Just a good strech of the legs and a whole lot of steam directed toward Cabela's. Took us 6.5 hrs. long story.:DI know which one's harder.

WKP Todd 06-10-2006 07:11 AM

Any mature buck, 4.5 years of age or older is hard to kill, regardless of where you are. Deer numbers have more to do with "toughness" than anything. If you are hunting in the Northwoods of Michigan or Wisconsin it's going to be tougher than the farmland of Iowa and Illinois. Big woods in Iowa and Illinois can actually be easier sometimes than the fields and CRP.

idahoelkinstructor 06-10-2006 07:45 AM

Big wood's bucks are harder to hunt because they know when something diffrent or not natural in there home.

Agricultural bucks are not that skidish about human intruders.

I don't whitetail hunt much, would like too, but spend too much time chasing other animals. With that I can honestly can't say or vote one way or another. But this just makes prefect sence to me.

PurcellSportingGoods 06-10-2006 07:49 AM

I'm going to have to say big woods on this one......