Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which is harder to hunt? >

Which is harder to hunt?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Agricultural Bucks
6.49%
Big woods Bucks
93.51%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Which is harder to hunt?

Old 06-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Which is harder to hunt?

Do not forget the deer per square mile issue. you can walk for hours without seeing any deer sign at all. Then like someone said you have to drag it out. I have passed on more than one deer because of the drag factor.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:47 AM

I have never hunted big woods before. Just farmland whitetail in kansas. I'm going to say big woods bucks are harder to kill, simply because there is not as many of them. From what I gather you don't see near as many deer in general when you hunt in big woods.

Alot of hunters just get lucky in killing farmland bucks. Alot of hunters who score year after year on big deer do so because they hunt smart and hunt in places that big bucks hold big bucks.

Big wood's bucks are harder to hunt because they know when something diffrent or not natural in there home.

Agricultural bucks are not that skidish about human intruders.

idahoelkinstructor said that. I say thats a load of BS. Sorry I just don't agree withwhat you said. Big mature bucks did not get big bybeing stupid. Big mature bucks know when something is not right in any area that they call home. And I'll promise you from personal experience that those deer ARE VERY SKIDISH!!!!! They are not a cake walk hunt by any means.Big mature deer are not easy to hunt regardless of where you hunt them.

Mark
Old 06-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

you hit the nail on the head you usually have to go deep in the woods and then when ukill one its an all day process
Old 06-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

Big woods; harder to pattern
Old 06-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Big wood bucks for sure
Old 06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

no brainer
Old 06-11-2006, 01:00 PM

The ag lands of the midwest are easiest place to kill any deer, including mature bucks..... The terrain funnels their movement and it's just a matter of time before one of those bigboys comes cruising down a treeline, draw, or bottom.......

As was pointed out, a big woods, mountain, or south east hard woods deer can and do take any path they wish..... Trail cam surveys show me that a buck on my place almost NEVER uses the same trail more than 1 time per 2 weeks!! It's amazing how much of this stuff is luck!
Old 06-11-2006, 08:45 PM

anytime you have plenty of food for the deer its going to be easier to hunt so the hardest would be big woods bucks for sure
Old 06-11-2006, 10:07 PM

I would venture to say big woods bucks simply because the size of their home ranges would be larger then those of an agricultural buck. Think about it, an agricultural buck usually has food, water, cover, and a large supply of does in less then 250 acres. In the bigwoods a buck isnt so lucky and must adapt his home range until he finds his four basic needs.
Old 06-12-2006, 02:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big timber country,combined with mountains creates some obstacles that any savvy whitetail bowhunter is going to recognize immediately, low deer densities, freaky winds that are inconsistent,theydo not cooperate with the local weather man, basically swirling 24/7. There is so much feed in my areathat deer can eat in any direction they choose, it's wet up here, the vegetation is always plentiful. The tracts of forest(public)reach out for100's of miles with no centralized food source insteadcyclic vegetations serve asa revolvingpreferred feed. Finally serious predation takes place in these mountainsand I say this because a buck gets an education with cougar and wolves on his track,enough that coyotes and bearsaren't even considered a serious predator of the whitetail deer in these parts.

Ag land is usually private andplays into the handfor whitetail bowhunters due to centralized preferred food sources,more predictablewinds, higher deer concentrations and structurethat dictates deer movement.

Mature bucks inboth big forestor AGget old for a reason, so if we are talking mature bucks..I think both are challenging, especially ab ole buck that moves mostly at night. Evenwith that being said I still feel that AG landlends itselfto thefavor of awhitetail bowhunter. I have hunted both successfully and really enjoy the far and few between times I get to travel out of state to hunt agricultural country like I have in Alberta and Montana.

Quick Reply: Which is harder to hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.