Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rookie bowhunter needs tips >

rookie bowhunter needs tips

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rookie bowhunter needs tips

Old 06-11-2006, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rookie bowhunter needs tips

practice not only with your bow but with your equipment so your very familiar getting into your stand and shooting from real life scenarios
Old 06-11-2006, 08:46 PM

hey rookie, pratice makes perfect. if your going to be stand hunting then get a range finder and practice from a stand as much as possible
Old 06-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

Another trick I've seen trap-shooters use, who were "opposite eye" dominant, is to wear a pair of shooting glasses while you practice, with a 1"X1" piece of black tape at about the 10 o'clock position on the dominant eye lense. It supposedly helps to train your other eye to take over as the dominant one. Just a thought.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Remember it's always foam season!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Find that consistant anchor piont on your chin near your ear or where ever your right hand stops at the let off. When you get a deer in your sights and your breathing hard (you will be breathing hard) remember this and shot placement. Aim at a small spot on the kill zone. Some newbees will tend to see brown when drawing back and release too soon. When I practice I count. I make it a piont to knock hook realease draw and trigger release with in 8seconds. Make sure youre hitting the target consistantly before trying this. good luck. (just my routine, there are alot of different ways to practice out there.)
Old 06-13-2006, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some tips:
Pick a spot. Don't aim at the whole target but rather pick a small aiming point, an arrow hole, arrow nock from a previous shot, etc...

Follow through. Keep your pin on the spot you want to hit until after you hear the arrow hit. Dont look around the bow after the shot. Don't drop your bow arm to look at the target. Just keep your pin on the target until you hear it hit. Just moving a small amount at release to "LOOK FOR THE ARROW" will throw the arrow off coarse. Just hold steady and and listen for the hit. Then look.

Practice at long distance. Once you are sighted in, practice at 40 or 50 yds. Make sure you have a big backstop. Practicing at long distance teaches you to follow through. If you don't, you will miss, sometimes by alot. It is very important to keep the pin on the target until the arrow hits. If you drop the bow or try to look around to see where you hit, you will miss and it will show moreat longer shots. Up close you may not notice how not following through has thrown off your arrow. You will definitely notice at long distance. Try practicing for a solid week at 50yds and then move up to 20. Be careful not to shoot too many arrows at 20yds, you may bust a few nocks. I think practicing at longer distances really makes those close up shots a cinch.

Hunting Tips:

Listen to the birds and small animals. Birds, squirrels, and chipmunks have warning calls. Learn them by listening to the sounds they make when they see you walking in the woods. When you are waiting on stand and hear them sounding off, they see something. It might be another hunter, a fox, another squirrel or maybe a deer. The sound of Chick-a-dees and chipmunks sounding their warning calls has helped me get ready for a shot many times on deer.

Hope these help
Old 06-17-2006, 07:51 AM

hey all thanks so much for all these tips on hunting and on form. I have been practicing for the last week now and not doing to bad with all your tips. This may be more of a technical question but i wanted to keep it on the same forum.

I have noticed the last two days that my shots are a little high and to the right. How do I properly adjust my sights. The sights I use are a 3 pin sight (not sure of the brand). The guy at the proshop told me how, but i forget. If I want to bring the shot down i need to bring the site down right and if I want to bring the shot to left i move the sight to the left, correct? or do i have this opposite?

Thanks again for your help. I am so excited for this season to start!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

When sighting in remember the phrase "follow the arrow". If you're shooting high, move the pin up. If shooting to the right, move sight right, etc.