Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you really need a $700 bow? >

Do you really need a $700 bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you really need a $700 bow?

Old 06-08-2006, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Do you really need a $700 bow?

No you don't.But if you don't buybrand M,alot of tournament shooters will have to start winning tournaments with a bow they'd rather shoot.[8D]
Old 06-08-2006, 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: The Lone Wolf

You can't buy accuracy, you simply must work for it!
see, now i don't necessarilly agree with that, especially when talking about compound bows.

I had never shot a compound bow in my life, and only a cheap recurve in gym class before that. I went to the range the other day to try out some bows, my first shot was a little wacked, as was my second, but from that point on I was shooting extremely accurately, to the point where it shocked me on how accurate a bow could be.

so unless you are talking about recurves and such or really long shots, it seems like using the sight on a well tuned compound bow gives you pretty darn good accuracy.

but then again, im a noob and know nothing of what i talk about I was juust hearing on how you really have to work on accuracy and such, and then i go shoot my first compount bow ever and im shooting about 3" groups at 25 yards, and this is with a fred bear element. yeah, i know 3" isn't anything to brag about, but it was my FIRST TIME EVER!! so pracatice will get me better, fo sho, but to make it sound like its mostly skill and almost no bow, i wouldn't agree. skill seems to only play a part when trying to shoot better than 3"
Old 06-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bobco19-65,
I tried to PM you.Your storage box is full.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:26 PM

I shoot what I can aford. With my middle daughter at Texas A&M and my youngets wanting to go there, it's not $700.00 .I have as yet to take a Whitetail with a bow, but I've taken Mule Deer, Caribou, and hogs. Being able to hit where you aim is what counts.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:21 PM

Well, I'm sure you've heard this....."If it make you happy don't change a thing". I hunted with a PSE Fire Flight LC that I horse traded for. If I had to put a dollar amount onit, I would have spent around $100. I shot my best buddy's '06 Switchback and fell in love with it. He spent close to $850 full set up on it. Then I shot a '05 Switchback and loved that even more. So, I bought one brand new full set upfor $760. Bottomline is if you are confident with your bow go with the confidence. Nothing beats that!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, you need one.A Switchback would be that one.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I never spent the big bucks on a bowuntil this year. Thats when I found out how much difference there is in the new bows made today.

I had a PSE Thunderbolt since 98. Then I shot a switchback and WOW!!! The difference is amazing. Try one and you'll see.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

here is the thing,if the people have to money to buy a bow like that they will but i see no sense in it because if you just hunt with it you arent shooting it much.I would much rather take the extra money and buy a treestand or two
Old 06-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've got a thing for all-wooden bows. Call it a passion. Many years have passed sinceI very decidedly andtenaciously made the switch from axle-equipped bows. In a very short while,I cameto see how simple wooden bows, cut directly from standing trees can fill the stew pot just as readily as history books and ancient lore have regaled. Watching a feathered wooden shaft arc on fatal flight from a hand made bow is...simply...an incomprehensible magic. The bows below cost perhaps $20 in materials (dyes, finishes, string, horn, leather, etc.) to make, and will cleanly kill anything in North America. Does a hunter "need" to spend $700 on a bow? I suppose that depends what he's looking for. For me, I unequivocally "need" quite the opposite.

Old 06-08-2006, 10:08 PM

Necessary? No, my recurve killed two big bucks quicker than any of my compounds have.

BUT a "$700 Bow" is kinda like having a gorgeous woman. The ugly women (cheap bows) net out the same end result at days end, dead is dead. But the pretty women (expensive bows) are more fun to be around, handle and be seen with!!!

Expensive equipment does not a hunter make, but when put to maximum use and used wisely the better equipment CAN yield better results over time,
RA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.