Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you like / dislike most about your pro shop? >

What do you like / dislike most about your pro shop?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you like / dislike most about your pro shop?

Old 06-06-2006, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What do you like / dislike most about your pro shop?

Buckeye,

I like new stuff if it's good and like you, I'm a forum junky and read alot about new gadgets. Although I don't change bows that often(my current bow is 2004 Bowtech Extreme VFT), I do often switch out accessories if something new comes out I like. I feel if I being in another profession can take the time to find new products I like, someone who does an archery shop for a living can certainly do it. After all, it is their livelyhood.

Since you use so many gadgets, have you used the VaporTrail LimbDriver Rest? If so, what do you think? I'm going to either a QAD Ultra or this one and haven't made up my mind!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckeye,

"It is obvious you have no idea what you're doing!"
That is what the owner of a proshop once told me -in front of his friends I might add - and after I had just spent $500 in his shop.

Treat each customer with the respect you would show an old friend and you will never go wrong.
I can tell from reading your posts that you know what you are doing and have the personality to back it up.
Have faith in yourself and patience with those you guide.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Likes: The service. The guys know what they are doing. But one guy is the ONLY guy I will go to, because he's a lefty like myself and knows my bow and how I shoot.

Dislikes: The time period/wait. Granted it's a great place with great service, but day-um....If it's a Saturday, you better pack a lunch and make a day out of it!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I like best is if you buy a bow there, labor on that bow is free as long as you own it. Need a string changed? Provide the string and the service is free or just pay for a string. Need a tune up? No charge. That is great service. Also range time is free and so is the chrono if you purchased the bow there.
My only dislike is he can't carry as much as the big chains. I will often check something out at Bass Pro and then have him order it for me. The more business I do with him the more he will have to spend on inventory.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Formula

Yes, I do know the rest you are speaking of. I have never tried it as the linkage system is not my taste.

I did have2 QAD's but soldthem on AT. It is a nice rest but I decided to try the next generation MZE instead. It is still on my hunting bow [8D]

Hazcon7

Thanks for the vote of support. Never expected that from ILNYPAKY-EH alumni
Old 06-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said, but it can't hurt to reiterate some of the better points.

The #1 reason I go to my local pro shop is service. The guys are friendly, they treat me great, give me the best deals they can, and take the time to shoot the breeze, talk about products they've seen, and are willing to listen and give pointers as they see fit. There's no egos and no bs. While they might be "Hoyt guys" they have no problem with selling a Mathews, Bowtech, or other brand of bow. They don't push anything down your throat because they use it and they think its the best. They make suggestions, but if you don't follow them they dont' judge you for it.

On the other hand, there is another local shop where I felt like if I wasn't using exactly what the owner told me to use (and just so happen to stock), I was an idiot. Not to mention if I wasn't one of the clique that hung out there on a daily basis I felt like I had to wait an hour until they were done with their personal conversation before I got any service. I went there 3 times and had similar experiences each time and now I don't go back. The other shop has won not only my business, but my referrals and my respect.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:12 PM

I like my proshop pretty good b/c the guy is always helpful and lets me step behind the counter to watch him to pratice string loop tieing and such. I told him that I would like to know how to do all that stuff myself and he was glad to show me.

The only thing I dont like is they do not have a shooting range. Just the area behind the counter where he papertunes.

I did go to a shop that was a piece of crap. They were older brothers and were pricks. They werent very helpful or friendly. I bought my first bow from them and that was the last that will be bought from them.

Just be friendly and answer questions politely. I am sure you will be great!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:03 PM

Hm, I'm also an employee so I'm not sure how objective my input would be. Service and respect.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

On the other hand, there is another local shop where I felt like if I wasn't using exactly what the owner told me to use (and just so happen to stock), I was an idiot. Not to mention if I wasn't one of the clique that hung out there on a daily basis I felt like I had to wait an hour until they were done with their personal conversation before I got any service. I went there 3 times and had similar experiences each time and now I don't go back. The other shop has won not only my business, but my referrals and my respect.
Justin, wow that sounds like a shop from around here. It was about 10 years ago when it was starting out. For the first 8 months everything was great but thenthe ownerbecame greedy and only seem to care about those who hung out in the shop on a regular basis and spent a lot of money. My brother and I even bought bows from this guy. I was a customer until my wife and Ihad a bad, very bad expreience (long story) and I have never been back since, and moved to a better shop that I now work part time at.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 AM

My advice forending up witha million bucks in the sporting goods business??? Start with 2 million!!!

I discourage ANYONE from getting in the retail business if they are gungho serious about hunting/fishing. Why? Because your time in the field will be eliminatedby AT LEAST90% to do the business right. Your busiest times are the last 3 months of the year. You need to be there from open too close EVERY single day you are normally scheduled to open (and that really needs to be 7 days a week!). Gone are the days you can hang a "Gone Huntin" sign on the door. Todays world of retailing deals with impatient customers who have the mental time frame of a 5 year old. Product is available 360degrees. It's a "buyers market" and that by it's very definition means you (the retailer) are on the lesser end of that prospect.

If for whatever reasons (age, money, desire etc...) you no longer desire to be a weekend warrior and no longer want to make those week long, multi-state hunts then yeah you could make it in the business. But be prepared for unreasonable customer expectations. And my pet peeve, which has become a GROWING problem with the advent of the internet, isyour store becoming a "hands on, answer bed, test site" for merchandise that unscrupulous customers then rush home and buy online after they have tied you up for an hour and fondled your merchandise, gained from your knowledge and trainingonly to buy on line because they can save a buck or two and escape sales tax!!! I personally would like to put a bullet in those kinds of peoples heads...

The old "quaint gunshop" is justa myth anymore. The business is to expensive to partake of as just a hobby or something to waste time doing. Somewherea few years ago the American publicfor whatever reason, was brainwashed into believing that spending moneyon ANYTHING was supposed to be an unpleasant experience. So they aremad at you for the simple fact that you are providing them for something THEY want but have to pay for in the first place.

GONEare the days of talking around the coffee table about hunts of yore. The modern retail model is a meat grinder and will wear you out, test your metel and drain your sanity and finances. That is why I turned down my brothers offer to buy his stores and why I refused to even manage them in the first place. I DIDN'T need the headaches or hours. I would rather see my children grow up and spendMY time in the woods/on the water or anyother way I see fit. It is also why I now work part time for a store who could use some mgmt help (they are GREAT folks, but just new too the business) but I simply have done the "push push push" go for it deathmarch type retail life when I owned my own car dealership for nearly 5 years as well as growing up in my brothers stores for 20 years. If I am in the retail business now it is simply on MY TERMS. I come and go as I please and do only what I choose to do.I let someone else worry about dealing with paying the bills, keeping the tax man at bay, trying to make the bottom line work,returns, matching prices, dealing with employees,unhappy a-hole customerswho couldnt be pleased with honey dipped lesbians etc...

Sorry to be negative but I wanted you to fully understand BOTH sides of the equation we call "outdoors retailing in America". BPS and Cabelas are 4 letter words if you are in the business. As a little guy you're tied too wholesalers/buying groups who are about as helpful and money saving as beautiful twin teen-age daughters... In fact wholesaling is where the "easy money" is at with regards too retail, but even that is like anything else in the market now. Overtaken by a few BIG shots, the rest are rats scurrying for crumbs. It's the ONLY part of the business that is still 9-5 Mon-Fri.

Either way, GOOD LUCK!!!
RA