Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you Trade Speed for.. >

Would you Trade Speed for..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you Trade Speed for..

Old 05-28-2006, 09:25 PM

Default RE: Would you Trade Speed for..

Better downrange momentum, but IMHO, it just ain't worth it if you satisfied w/ your current set up.

KE just isn't as important as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, it's still important, but w/ the advent of todays high tech, major horsepower compound bows, yer gonna get plenty of KE to kill just pretty much darn near anything. Now, if you're a traditional boy, yeah, it makes a major difference.
Old 05-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope... i shoot a super thin shaft myself and like the flight and the speed and the penetration. As long as I am killing deer, not gonna worry about it!
Old 05-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I personally switched from a light carbon arrow (cx300)to a heavy carbon arrow (terminator hunter 6075) and I like the heavy one better. My bow is quieter, my groups are more consistent especially with broadheads. I was concerned with arrow drop at 30 yards but I couldn't notice any real difference. I'm now shooting cx terminator hunters w/ 125 gr heads out of a 70#/30" draw Hoyt. I only shoot under 30 yards so I don't need a super fast arrow. I'm a hunter period. If I hit a shoulder blade with my heavy setup I'll be glad I have the heavier arrow. If I was into 3d and long shots I'd definitely go with the lighter arrow.

Download the pinwheel software and model different arrows from your setup. It's real infomative. www.pinwheelsoftware.com
Old 05-29-2006, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Download the pinwheel software and model different arrows from your setup. It's real infomative. www.pinwheelsoftware.com
Man thats an Awsome Program! it feeds the tweaker jones I have
Old 05-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dwright

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

Man thats an Awsome Program! it feeds the tweaker jones I have
Pinwheel's the best. It showedthat speed is over-rated for shots under 30 yards. My 30 yard trajectory didn't change much for heavy arrows at 270 fps and light ones at 295 fps. My back yard testing has validated the software's predictions.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 AM

I guess the better question to ask is there any benefit to shooting a heavier arrow?
yea. the bow will make less noise, the heavier arrow will always produce a bit more kinetic energy than the lighter one that 1 or 2 ftlbs that ROB/Pa was mentioning will be realized with the heavier arrow.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd give up 10-20 f.p.s. for every extra off-day that I could get. Right now, my schedule gives me about5 entire days on stand in archery season since my home state doesn't permit Sunday hunting (that is, if I only attend ONE college football game).I can flex some work around a couple morning/evening hunts here and there, but time is the only thing keeping me from really having a banner season.

I'd gladly trade speed for time.