HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Whisker Biscut set-up (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/143476-whisker-biscut-set-up.html)

trapper T 05-25-2006 10:08 PM

Whisker Biscut set-up

I recently had a whisker biscut installed, and as a new archery shooter I had a couple questions I know you guys here could answer.

I noticed that with the biscut that your vanes are turned differently thean a normal rest, the inside vane on my setup actually rubs on the riser as it leaves the bow. It' doesn't seem to interfere with the windage on my shots, up to 35 yards. Should it touch or should I re-align the rest so the vane does not touch? Also, if the vane touching the riser does not pose a problem, will it affect arrow speed enough to matter?

Thanks

Finch 05-25-2006 10:24 PM

RE: Whisker Biscut set-up

Its not a good idea to have any kind of fletching contact with the bow once you release the string. That has always been my impression. I think I would take it back to the shop and let them tune your bow to get rid of that problem. Why shoot it like that when it can be fixed?

aeroslinger 05-25-2006 11:02 PM

Sounds like the WB is too far in. You definitely don't want your vanes hitting the riser. I'm not sure how that wouldn't be affecting the arrow flight. The WB can be a little tricky because you can get good groups even if it isn't tuned properly. My experience with the WB, and I haven't figured out why yet, is that more often than not I will have to set it out as far or nearly as far as it will let me. I've got a decent pro shop that I usually go to but I wouldn't consider them experts when it comes to a WB. If you don't know how to tune it up you might take it back and see if they can check it over, maybe paper tune it. Or take it to another shop if you have one around.

kwilson16 05-26-2006 05:44 AM

Concur. I have owned several on mine and realtives' bows and none come close to touching the riser. It sounds like it is way too close to the riser.

r33h 05-26-2006 07:23 AM

Is your arrow flight bad? I would think if your WB is far enough in that your vanes are touching the riser, you would have very bad arrow flight...

trapper T 05-26-2006 03:27 PM

Thanks guys, I will get it tuned up.

r33h, I think at 25-35 yards it looks as if the vanes are kind of drifting left a tad on impact, of a hay bale. But what was confusing me was the fact that even getting out to 30+ I could still lay three arrows on top each other, in fact three days ago at 25 I split one right down the nock.

But again I'll get that fixed this WE. Thanks again for the info everyone.

mobow 05-26-2006 04:26 PM

If your vanes are indeed hitting your riser, your arrows are surely fishtailing. Now, w/a fieldpoint, you may get away w/ it, but not w/ a broadhead. Paper tune the bow, just as you should anytime you install a new rest, and your problem will be solved.

Also, if indeed your rest is where it needs to be, turn your nocks so that the feathers are positioned differently. With a WB, cock vane position isn't relevant. No need for up or down. It could be diagonal and it wouldn't matter. I bet dollars to doughnuts your rest isn't in the right postion.

Oneshot7 05-26-2006 05:50 PM

couldnt have said it better mo

davidmil 05-26-2006 10:44 PM

Its not a good idea to have any kind of fletching contact with the bow once you release the string. That has always been my impression.
Exactly, and yet people that say that will put a whisker bisquit on their bow. GO figure.[&:] Sounds like your bow is Way OUT OF TUNE.

mobow 05-27-2006 12:39 PM

Its not a good idea to have any kind of fletching contact with the bow once you release the string.
True, w/ the exception of the WB rest. As we all know, a vane hitting something will knock your arrow flight all crazy, but that's just one vane. The reason the WB works is all three vanes make the same contact, cancelling each other out so to say. The WB is a darn fine arrow rest and they work perfectly on a correctly tuned bow.