Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blinds

Old 05-21-2006, 03:18 PM

Default Blinds

how practical are blinds for deer hunting? does anyone use them?
Old 05-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

Default RE: Blinds

Get a Double Bull blind movie and they can show you the ropes. They have field tested them probably more than anybody else in the world. My experience shows that they can work great. Brush them in and let the deer get used to them. I have noticed that if you don't get netting over the windows it scares whitetails just like the Double Bull boys say. Whitetails don't tolerate black holes in blinds.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:18 PM

I've set mine up and hunted the same day. No need to "let the deer get used to them." I've had bucks and does alike closer than 20 yards on same day sets. Ok, they did look at the blind, but had they been legal I could have shot any one of them several times over. That was an Ameristep Doghouse, I was muzzleloader hunting so I had the net up, creating a "black hole effect." Deer don't like that.

The roof outline is the big one. Deer see the hard, flat horizontal line of the roof and it alerts them. That's the same way we sometimes see deer in the woods, is the line across their back. Anyway, I just bought a Matrix this spring and I intend to do 90% of my deer hunting out of it this fall.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ground blinds work great when used properly what I mean is no matter what kind of blind youuse if you don't set it up right, it will spook the deer.
Hardcore & mobow are right when they talk about the black hole & the outline of the roof.
I have a Double Bull myself & I really like it when I use it I'll cover it up real good to blend in I 'll put twig's and small branch's on the roof to beak-up the outline as for the black hole I'll use a shoot thru mesh.
So no matter what blind you get make sure you cover it from thebottom up.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

I took my son bowhunting with me last year and set my "turkey blind" up and in less than an hour we had a spike buck on the ground. I left the mesh up and shot through it. It was a matrix blind and I set it up in a row of small trees/brush. They are great to use to take a child hunting with you. They can squirm around a little and not spook the animals.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:03 PM

I am investing in a double bull matrix, after alot of consideration.

What is this brushing in that your speak of?
I have seen many people talk about it, but have no idea what it means.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Dominant Buck

A ground blind doesn't have to be a several hundred dollar deal(double bull for example). It can be as simple as a blowdown. In fact, the blow down is really better. It's been there, the deer are used to it, and you can hide in it with room to manuver with minimal effort. A ground blind can be a ditch, a stream, a couple big bushes, a simple hole in the ground. People think you have to be totally hidden. All you need is something that looks normal that you can fit in, or behind or in front of. A ground blind is what your mind makes it.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Campo

I am investing in a double bull matrix, after alot of consideration.

What is this brushing in that your speak of?
I have seen many people talk about it, but have no idea what it means.
Brushing it in means taking some surrounding brush,or tall grasses or whatever is in the area and placing on and around the blind to help make it look natural and blend in. Break up the roofline.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

Blinds are very good for hunting deer and other game. I use a Brickhouse blind with total scent controll, however I always wear my scent lok and place the blind upwind from where I belive the deer will come from. Next I bruch the blind up realy well with limbs and tall grasses that are in the area. Bruching it up is the big thing to deer seem nervoius when they are not bruched up. I have taken several does and two nice 8 pointer and serverl foxes from mine.
good hunting
Old 05-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have had alot of opportunities when hunting out of ground blinds. I tend to prefer the pop-up style and my favorite at the moment is the Groundmax Escape DX. Easy to setup, rigid in all conditions, waterproof, great camo and fairly reasonable for price.

Quick Reply: Blinds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.