HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How to change vanes? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/142803-how-change-vanes.html)

Jdandy23 05-18-2006 03:08 AM

How to change vanes?

I have quite a few of torn vanes and I want to re-fletch them with the blazers... but I don't want to be shooting different vanes. So my question is this, how do I remove my old vanes so I can re-fletch all my arrows the same? Is there some sort of solvent or do you scrape them off or what?

JoeRE 05-18-2006 03:18 AM

RE: How to change vanes?

scrape 'em off with a razor or knife. I haven't seen it ever damage even carbon shafts

dick_cress 05-22-2006 10:16 PM

I just use my leatherman Tool. Then when I get all the residue off I clean the fletching ares with a 3-M Green Scrubber.

Trembow 05-23-2006 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

scrape 'em off with a razor or knife. I haven't seen it ever damage even carbon shafts
Carbon force arrows are VERRRY easy to gouge with a razor, even a dull one.

I've ruined three shafts altogether, one of them even AFTER I realized that I needed to be careful.

kansaswiderack 05-23-2006 10:23 AM

take em to your pro shop

r33h 05-23-2006 10:36 AM

scrape the old vanes off with a razor blade and use Acetone to clean the shaft really well. Get the shaft as smooth as possible.

BOWTECHBO 05-23-2006 01:05 PM

You need one of these
then one of these
and some glue and you can do ot your self

Bo

hardcorehunter 05-23-2006 05:30 PM

These two are what I use..Zip strip and a bitzenberger fletcher.

rtread 05-23-2006 07:09 PM

I have been having good results using an EZE-STRIP grooved scraper to get the old vane and dried glue off. Then I use 320 grit sandpaper until all traces are gone, then use a polishing spool on my Dremel. I then wipe it withisopropyl alcohol, then distilled water. All of this works, but I just found that it is very important to "scuff" or "abrade" the vane channel prior to gluing....at least when using SPEED FLYTE vanes on carbon arrows. Earlier today I posted this on the Technical Forum.....:

I wanted to pass this on to others that have been having problems gluing vanes on carbon arrows. I have had problems from the start and have noticed many others on here having the same problems.

I have tried various glues, various cleaners, and various methods described on the forums. Still having some vanes detaching, many on the first shot after refletching. I did notice that after a vane detached, the dried glue was intact on the arrow shaft, the vane groove was "clean". I was about to buy a whole new jig, new vanes, new glue. Then I read the "Gluing Instructions" on the inside of a package of SPEED FLYTE (Arizona Archery) vanes. Item #3 states:
"To ensure proper adhesion, place sand paper on flat, hard surface. Sand base of vane lightly with straight, smooth strokes. Then place sand paper over edge of desk or table and sand center of vane base on edge of table to ensure all areas of vane have been abraded."

I did this with great results. So far, I haven't lost a single vane. I'm using three different glues, same vanes. I position the vane in the clamp and stroke it evenly about five times. (I'm using 320 grit sandpaper). Then I fold a small piece of sandpaper in half to make an edge that will get at the bottom of the groove....again about five strokes. It is working and I'm relieved! Just wanted to pass it on.......
I have a half dozen arrows I have refletched using this method and still haven't lost a vane after about 100 shots. This may be unique to this particular brand of vane....or others.

Hope this helps. Ray