Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone have any opinions of this blind. >

Anyone have any opinions of this blind.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone have any opinions of this blind.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Anyone have any opinions of this blind.

I am thinking about getting a reversible Ameristep Doghouse TSC. I found a good deal on one, and though I would like to purchase a doublebull, I dont have the dollars and I have this thing about buying things from China that are made for slave wages.

Anyway, I am short, only 5'8", so I think it will be tall enough. I also shoot a fairly short bow (Reflex Superslam) so I dont think clearance will be an issue. One thing I like about the compact size is that I hunt in alot of hardhack patches and overgrown thickets, and it will nestle into corners of thickets well without being too big.

Can anyone comment on noise level, sheen of the fabric, durability, etc.
I know many are thinking, just get a doublebull, but at this point in my life, it is out of the question, so I am looking for the best in my current price range.

Again, thanks alot ladies and gents
Old 05-15-2006, 08:35 PM

Default RE: Anyone have any opinions of this blind.

I really like the Ameristep blinds. As far as durability, I think they're as good as anything else. The TSC in my opinion is a waste of money. The only difference in it, and the Ameristep blinds without it, is the TSC has a bottom in it. The other ones don't. You're on the ground, with the windows open. If the wind's wrong,there's a good chance the deer are going to smell you whetherthe blind has a floor in it or not. I just don't think it helps.It just becomes something else that makes noise. I don't like it. Also, the doghouse is a little small for me. Not much, just enough to be a problem. However, I am 6' ft. tall. Since you're a few inches shorter,it might be a perfect fit for you. If I'm not mistaken, Ameristep has a blind that is bigger than thedoghouse, though I don't know the name of it. It would probably be my choice just for the extra room.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have experience other than sitting in one at Cabelas, but the Brickhouse I have (for not much more $$$) is a little larger and has a lot more room for drawing a bow because of being hub style. I paid $100 for mine.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:13 AM

How about the brickhouse or penthouse?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:24 AM
Banned

I would get the hub style brickhouse myself
Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 PM

Yeah, a hub style would be better, IMHO. Cabelas also makes a pretty good hub at a good price.

But to specifically answer your question, the doghouse is quite noisy, especially to set up. It's spring steel and when it pops out......wow...it pops out. It's pretty shiny, too and flaps in the wind. Although I must say, I muzzleloader hunted out of one and did see some deer, some at like 5 yards. So, take that how you will. Personally, I can't draw my bow in one. Just not enough room. The windows suck, too. The zipper is BETWEEN the mest and the window. When it's open, it's open. No versatility at all!

Anyway, I like the hubs better because of the improved space. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Typical Buck

Whether the TSC is of use or not, I'd go with the TSC model. It is larger than the regular doghouse. Check the specs. http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/dogreverse.html vs. http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/doghouse.html . I've got the TSC and like the floor and would not want it any smaller. I've shot a turkey and missed a doe out of mine so far. It's not a DB but there's certainly nothing wrong with them. You might also want to check out some of these blinds http://www.eastmanoutfitters.com/blinds.shtml.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have used the Ameristep Penthouse for four years now no complaints
killed a lot of game out of it plenty of room for me and my hunting
partner,even my four wheeler if I chose to put it in there,am looking
at a double bull but have not made the plunge yet!
Old 05-16-2006, 06:53 PM
Banned

To tell you the truth you will be happier if you just bite the bullet and get one of these. A chinese made Double Bull Blind

Old 05-16-2006, 07:33 PM

That right there is FUNNY!! Chinese made, yes. But you would indeed be more happy w/ it.

Quick Reply: Anyone have any opinions of this blind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.