Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good bows

Old 05-13-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Good bows

Hey guys i kinda wanted to get into bowhunting and was wondering what is a good bow to buy.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Good bows

Hey most all are good bows. I would say look a round and get to a pro-shop and check them all out. I would say since you are just starting to go for a lower price bow until you figure it out, even a good used one...... was just reading my Bowhunter from a few months ago, hey there is a delay getting to Iraq. Anyway, think it is PSE, or someone else that has a package deal with sights, and stabilizer, etc. I would look into one of the package deals so you can keep initial cost to a minimum. As you figure things out, then you can try different sights, rests, stabilizers, etc.

Most important, find what you want not the brand name or pressure..... hey any bow is a Good bow, if it kills deer! [8D][8D]
Old 05-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might check out the new Jennings Strike fair price great shooter and
easy to the touch,I just ordered one!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Spike

hey chief, the bowtech tomkat is a sweet bow package and a good starter bow. it comes with everything but a stableizer and aarows. not gonna set you back too much $$. very quiet and smooth. i started out with one just to see if the whole bowhunting thing was for me, which of course it was, adn the tk made it a great experience. but hey, thats just me. go check out your local dealer and find the one that fits you best
Old 05-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey Eric & Bigdees, first of all welcome aboard. Your in the right place to learn! All the newer bows are awesome. Just go to a trusting pro shop and start shooting every bow that you can. The key is get a bow that fits and shoots good to YOU! Good luck!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Man, there are just HUNDREDS to choose from. First, set you spending limit, and don't go over it. I know nothing of your draw length, what poundage you'll be pulling or anything else but I can say that if you've never shot before, get a forgiving set up to start with. Don't go out and buy the biggest, baddest, most expensive, fastest toy you can find. Well, don't use that alone as criteria. I say that because I shoot a Hoyt UltraTec, quite fast and quite expensive. But, it's also quite forgiving so if expensive is what you end up with, fine. Just don't set out and say I'm buying the most expensive one I can find or whatever. You have to find the one that fits you and you are comfortable with.

By forgiving I mean longer axle-to-axle and a longer brace height. IBO speed ratings in the 290's are plenty fast but are generally more forgiving. Take some time on this and get the right one or you won't have any fun. That would be tragic as this is the greatest sport in the world. Get to a pro shop and have fun shopping.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

new Jennings Strike fair price great shooter
I'll second that, if you tend to like the Mathews Switchback,Bowtech Tribute, or Hoyt Trykon, but don't like the price tag then do check out the Jennings Strike. Its not quite a smooth as the big three as I like to call them. But its by no means rough either, for the price tag its one dang good deal.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:11 PM

started out with a diamond rapture last year and love it so much decided to go with the upper end bowtech.. Starting with Diamond, bowtech, mathews or Hoyt etc... I don't think you can go wrong!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

These new bows are really something now. You can also get a heck of a deal on a 1-2yr old top of the line Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, etc. because a lot of us trade our bows regularly and they depreciate bigtime. You can buy a used Hoyt Xtec for $400 and it cost $700 a year earlier. Maybe look at used. I traded a hoyt Xtec that had a $100 winners choice string on it. Some usedbows come with accessories already on them. To equip a new bow it costs $300-$400 so you can come out ahead.