HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Goals for the upcoming fall...... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/142424-goals-upcoming-fall.html)

mobow 05-13-2006 07:34 PM

Goals for the upcoming fall......

Well, I've been at this game of bowhunting for about.......hmmmm......10 years now. But I shot my first deer just 2 seasons ago, fall of 2003. Since then I've shot several more, which leads me to the point.

The area I've most improved on in the last couple of years in stand placement. I consistently put myself in a position to see and shoot deer. BUT, the area I will seriously be concentrating on this fall is seeing more bucks. I've yet to even shoot AT a buck w/ my bow. Frankly, I just don't see very many. I think I may have saw 2....maybe 3 last fall, but I saw more does than I can shake a stick at.

So that's my goal for the upcoming season. To see more bucks and hey, maybe even shoot one. Where have you most improved in the last couple of years and what are your goals for this fall?

txjourneyman 05-13-2006 07:59 PM

RE: Goals for the upcoming fall......

Last year was my first bowhunting. I killed a doe and 2 hogs. My goal for this year is to kill a buck. I have started working towards that goal already by practicing at least 4 times a week, and planning stand placement at my lease. I have also just gotten a nice used rear tine tiller and plan to put in a good food plot. My only problem with that is I don't know what to plant that will both attract deer and stand up to Tx summer heat. I plan on asking some local farmers what a good crop would be. I guess they would know. I also have a goal of shooting a lot more hogs and getting 2 does this year. So there are my goals and some of my plans to attain them.
P.S. Good thread idea!

early in 05-13-2006 08:02 PM

My goal is to get a shot at a Monster this Fall in Alberta!:)Nov. 12th-19th, I'm psyched.;)

IroquoisArcher 05-13-2006 08:07 PM

My goal is to................

figure out how much blaze orange I have to wear and when!
For those of you not from PA just check out the requirements.[:@]

Back 40 Tree Rat 05-13-2006 08:21 PM

To shoot an elk in Colo. and shoot at least 4 does on my hunting land.

Greg / MO 05-13-2006 08:50 PM

Improved the most in recent years: I guess I'd have to say using "observation" stands more often, and then moving in tight for the kill after I pinpoint the best areas from a distance. I don't know; it's really hard to say.

Goals for this fall: Put at least one morebook buck on the wall -- but, just as (if not more) importantly -- to help a good buddy from here on HNI get his first P&Y under his belt.

JLmoore1956 05-13-2006 08:56 PM

Well after being here fora year and missing fall season last year, the goal is to be in the woods everyday that I can..... only taken one deer with a bow, but you know, just being out there this year will be satisfying enough! [8D]

Granby 05-13-2006 10:03 PM

Since I was 9 years old I have been bowhunting and shot a number of deer and turkeys. I think this fall with my dad getting older, I would just like to spend as much time with him in the woods as I can regardless of whether or not we harvest a deer or an elk. I would definitely like to help him pack out another one this year!

rochelle 05-13-2006 10:43 PM

My goal is to kil a pope and young!:D

121553 05-13-2006 10:44 PM

Ya figure that you may not be see'in any bucks is your shootin the does?If you want meat than hunt meat, if you want a buck to bragg about than hunt it, but don't do both in the same area. Figure out when the rut is and use the dang does to lure the bad boys out of the thicket. Just be patient and use the does to your advantage.

Bobby
**WHERE THE PAVEMENT ENDS AND THE WEST BEGINS**