Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad? >

Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

Old 05-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

go to the Bowsite and search this topic. A very, verygood elkhunter named BB has extensive knowledge of this shot and he would take it every time its given.
Well that is his opinion, from the talk yes he seems to be a good elk hunter but I for one and others do question his shot selection. I myself think it is a terrible shot that should not be taken. I learned the hard way myslef about this.Eight years agoI called a 6x6 bull into me he was 15 yards head on. I was using a Martin Fury pulling 80 pounds shooting a 600 grain arrow moving at 260 f/s tipped with a 125 grain Thunderhead. On the KE chart I was somewhere around90 pounds KE,if I remember correctly?Up to that point I believed and was told by many archers if you had enough energy your arrowcould punch through a elk brisket with ease. So when this bull came into me at 15 yards I drew back knowing he would turn one way or another, but instead he just froze their lookingin my direction.I decided to try it and take the shot. I was so shocked to see the arrow stickin half way out of him, so far with all the othe elk I had shot with a bow, broadside or quarting away the arrow either blew through or was hanging out the other side. Long story short he didn't bleed much except throught his nose and mouth, and I didn't find him until the next day. It was a hot september and I lost the meat, I tagged him anyway and still have his beautiul head gear. It was a hard lesson to learn. I don't recomend anyone to take the shot no matter what bow and arrow/broadhead you are using. Elk are tough tough animals and with a strait on shot it is almost inpossible to take out both lungs. A elk can go a long ways (miles) on one lung! Just to let you know we have a excellent elk hunters on this forum too.Hunters likeelkcrazy8, robinhood36, elknut1, wolf killer, elkaholicid, shed33, and several others that escape my mind at this time. I could be wrong but I would bet thatmost if notall would agree with me, that a head on shot at a elk is not a recomended. And thebottom line is it should not be taken!
Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a visual that most people don't realize. Feel the soft spot at the bottom of your throat. (Where your collarbones come into the middle.) That is where you have to shoot an elk or deer for the arrow to hit a lung. Now, believe it or not (this is part of our bowhunter's ed class) the size of that opening on a mule deer is about the size of a golf ball. On an elk it is only the size of a tennis ball! Think you can hit that size of a target (without clear definition of the kill zone)? The smart thing to do is to not take the shot! Wait for the animal to turn, if they don't then at least you won't regret losing the animal over a stupid shot! Weigh it out in your mind. Is it worth it? I don't think so.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:01 AM

idahoelkinstructor

I've taken 6 head on shots at elk and killed them all - a friend has taken 6 broadside shots and only killed 4 of 6 elk.

You tell me which is the better shot in the above scenarios ?

You can't.

More animals are lost/wounded/missed by shooting broadside than any other. Fact. So how can the "perfect" shot end up being not so perfect ?

Its not the shot so much as it is the guy taking the shot. Shots I cannot make, others can. I KNOW this, I realize it and I'm good with it - because it simply is.

If you can make the straight on shots - take them. If you can't make them, don't take them. Because at the end of the day, you take your shots, I'll take my shots and I'll trust you'll make yours.

You need to trust I'll make mine.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

More animals are lost/wounded/missed by shooting broadside than any other.
Now there's some misleading statistics. ..... and as luck would have it, there are more animals killed by shooting broadside than any other. Why, because 80 percent of the shots taken are broadside.(I figured I'd throw in a non proveable fact too.[8D]
Old 05-14-2006, 07:51 AM

So, are you saying a head on shot with the animal looking at you at 25 yards? I wouldn't take the shot on whitetail much less an elk. Would you take the same shot on the ground with a bear? Hope your aim is true or you can run really fast
Old 05-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

More animals are lost/wounded/missed by shooting broadside than any other. Fact. So how can the "perfect" shot end up being not so perfect ?
I'm calling BS on that, where do you get your info to even think about saying that is a fact?A head on shot at deer is a bad idea too, let alone a elk. I have lost two deer and to this day I hate to think about it, one the deer jumped foward and I gut shot him. The other I hit very high andafter tracking him over 200 yards the light blood trail stoped. I was able to follow his tracks another 100 yards and then nothing.I have yet to loose a elk, or deer for that matterafter being hit through both lungs on a broadside shot. I have not yet wounded a elk and hadit get away never to be found again. That 6x6 bull that I told about so far has been my closest call with a elk. Like I said I didfind him, but not until it was too late and I lost the meat. I had to tag it in order to take the antlers, and I also had to because of my own ethics. I did have the choice by thelaw, to leave thatbull aloneand go hunt another elk. I evenbrought a F&G officer to the kill to show him the meat was bad, and asked what I should do.I knew I killed that bull and I felt I didn't have a right to kill another one. If a hunter hunts long enough, sooner or laterthey will have a animal get away from a marginal hit, that is a sadfact about bowhunting.But its one thing to have a marginal hit, and quite another to take a questionable shot. If what you say about killing 6 elk from head on shots is true, then you are so far a very lucky fellow. IMO your playing with fire and your going to get burned.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

[hr]

The frontal shot or quartering to you shot has been thought of as "mysterious" or very high risk! It's not a large target in comparison to the broadside or so shot.

But it's completely makeable at closer ranges. I limit myself to 20yds or under here! Too, I've taken the time to study an Elks anatomy, this will help you to visually see where you need to put an arrow per shot angle. In this respect, the "Frontal" to "quartering to you shot" Check it out.

http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

The frontal shot has no bone to contend with as you can see from the Skeleton view, but you must hit in the throat jugular area & this will make it's way into the lungs or if lower, then into the heart.

If an elks quartering slightly to you, then take a look again at the "skeleton" view, you need to slip an arrow between the frontal shot/brisket to inside the front leg bone but under the shoulder/scapula. Not behind the legbone but in front of it!!!

As you can see from the "Circulatory" view & "Skeleton" view, this shot is completely possible & very deadly, it will take both lungs out quickly!!

This shot may not be for everyone, but if you really analyze the different angles & you are calm in high adrenaline situations as a close bull encounter, it can be done with confidence! This is another great reason to use broadheads that have great bone penetrating performance if you accidentally shot a hair high on the quartering to you angle.

It happened to me, but the Stinger in 4-blade design blew right through the scapula & took out both lungs. The shot was 10yards. I caught the bottom last inch of it. The bull was on the ground in under 100yds! My Son & I have taken many other deer & elk with similar shots, you must be close & calm!

But we all owe it to ourselves & the animal to be familiar with what shots will work or can be done, don't force it, you'll most likely come out on the short end! Knowing an elks anatomy will further your confidence in different angles at close range encounters!

ElkNut1
Old 05-14-2006, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would try to stear clear from a head on shot in most cases. Not the most makeable shot by most archers. Elknut hit the nail on the head though with staying calm and thinking through the shot. If there is one ounce of doubt, let it walk if you have to or wait for a broadside shot.

I know that I can make the shot that you speak of, as can a few others. To preach on an open forum to the average archers who may be reading this about taking head on shots can and will lead to disaster in alot of cases, just because someone who knows what their talking about says it can be done. The bottom line is become familiar with your gear, its capabilities , and also get to know the anatomy of the animal. Pay close attention to bone structure and locations of the internal vitals that will bring it down. Close range shots can and will be exciting. Keep a cool head and think about what you are doing.

I had a great experince last week with a head on standing bear at 12 yards. Talk about a rush. That was even enough to get my blood going!!!! But I was able to talk myself through the shot and take the bear quickly. There is alot going on in ones mind during the heat of the moment, and if you are a little whacked out the chances of making a poor decision dramatically increase.

To wrap it up, if youshoot 4 inch groups at 20 yards, practice for a couple weeks before season, and have yet to consistantly kill animals with the bow, I would recommend waiting for a broadside shot until you get more confidance. If you know that you can make the shot and know that there is margin for error. Take it and enjoy those elk steaks..............
Old 05-14-2006, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not a good shot, but if you're a TV star anything goes to shoot a video. How many new hunters will view this video and consider this an ethical shot?
Old 05-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't say anything goes to shoot a video. However I would say that they are teaching a newbie that this is an acceptable shot for everyone, whether the archer is capable or not. IMO the shots that are taken sometimes are on a complete opposite of the spectrum that any new archer should attempt. Practice is the key word. If a guy shoots 4-5 nights a week year round, and has ice in his/her veins in all situations I would promote the head on shot. However not in most cases . It would be like promting a Texas heart shot. That shot is deadly as heck but there is little room for eror.( a little more precision neededthan the head on but the same concept.) I would much rather have a good double lung anyway!!!!

Quick Reply: Head on Shot on Elk on OLN - Good or Bad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.