Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anybody bowhunt from natural ground blinds? >

Anybody bowhunt from natural ground blinds?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anybody bowhunt from natural ground blinds?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anybody bowhunt from natural ground blinds?

If it is the best option for the set up.

Jason
Old 05-10-2006, 03:10 PM

ive killed 2 from the ground 1 just sat rump on the ground and shot a pope and young 10pt the other i put a 5 gallon bucket by a tree and shot a doe
Old 05-10-2006, 04:13 PM

Never have. I suppose it certainly could work under the right conditions. Should be fun too.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I've done it many times in the last 35 years. It can be as simple as a stool in a small ditch or creek. I love to find a big old oak or something that's fallen down too with the root ball and all turned up for more cover. As mentioned, it can also just be a hedgerow or something like that. The problem you run into with fields is that deer quite often head straight out into the field out of range of wood lines etc. A hedgerow dividing fields is also great. I've done it in all the ways mentioned. I never dug a hole because I didn't own the land and was reluctant to dig a hole the needed size in some farmers field. I've also done it just by finding the right thicket near the prefered area and sitting on a stool with some brush or little trees in front of me. The thing to make sure is to leave yourself LOTS of room to move and shoot in all directions Test your draw to be sure you're clear. I always rake the ground clean of any sticks, leaves or vines so I'm walking or shuffling my feet on nothing but bear dirt. WIND is much more critical than from a tree. If it's swirling,.. forget it unless you have something in your favor, like the place I used to set up in a stream bed against some washed out tree roots. The coolness of the water babbling by covered my sounds and always seemed to make the air currents more steady even when the wind in the woods was swirling.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

I've had a group of deer come within 10 yards of me on thegroundonce when I was turkey hunting, but never tried bowhunting deer from the ground. There is one good spot I hunt where I think it might work, it's where a large tree was blown over and the root base is just the right height that you can see/shoot over it and it will still provide pretty good cover. I'll try it out this year.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a natural ground blind from time to time But I do have one my wife bought me for my b - day 4 year's ago.
Whenever I hunt &I don't have B-D gift with I'll make one up from a downfall or maybe some thick brush.
I like hunting from treestand's too.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first three deer were killed from the ground, I used blow downs as part of my blind, worked well. Now Iuse my Lone Wolf climber, only.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Spike

Killed a couple bucks from the ground and missed the largest buck I had shot at (at the time)- during the rut it is a lot easier. It's easier to screw up your turf because you do get busted a lot more.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:07 PM

Every year when we clear shooting lanes in the spring the guy i hunt with adds to a ground blind he built out of sticks and brush and such and has took 2 nice 8 pointers and many does from it. last year i sat in it during shotgun season and had a nice spike eat acorns for 30 minutes 10 yards away.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:12 PM

I regularly hunt from ground blinds on water holes. Frequently, these are in areas where a tree stand is not an option. Dig a hole a couple feet in diameter--dig it deep enough so you can sit on the surrounding dirt and have your legs rest comfortably. Next, you build a network or branches and foilage (usually sage brush where I hunt) 360 degrees around you leaving a small window no larger than absolutely necessary to cover the water hole. Resist the temptation to expand the shooting window--keep it to the absolute minimum. It critcal that the foilage behind you is quite thick--this prevents them from making out your form and reduces the chance of slow movement being picked up. You also build an entrance that you can readily close behind you after entering the blind. The blinds need to be built with comfort in mind--otherwise I get to fidgety and move around too much. Mature deer generally water right at dusk when the thermals are quite predictable. Bring a book, get comfortable and put in your time. You will eventually have anopportunity if you've picked your waterhole well. We like to build several blinds so you can rest them if you feel you have been busted, or if the big bucks don't seem to be coming in before dark in a particular area.

Quick Reply: Anybody bowhunt from natural ground blinds?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.