Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My climber/stand >

My climber/stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My climber/stand

Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 AM

Default RE: My climber/stand

Question for all of you...during my rookie season[8D] I was "given" an old climber "Wally World special"...I hunted it all season and it was the most uncomfortable POS...I could never get it leveled...I never saw a deer that year and I suppose that was a good thing cause if I had and would have tried to stand up and lean in for a shot on it, Surely I would have ended up hanging from the harness that came with it...which by the way would have prevented my son from having siblings.....OH yeah the question...I do not see many climbers out there with a leveling system...how do you all compensate when you climb a tree with a big base that tapers as you go up?

This is the reason I spent the money for my Equalizer.

Bo
Old 05-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

You start out with the stand and platform at an up angle. As you ascend the stand and platform level out. It's not much fun getting started this way, but it works out just fine.

Some new stands have the ability to level off with a cranking system.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:16 PM

Hows the footrest? I bet my summit would be perfect with afootrest and news carrying straps.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:23 PM

The leveling issue is indeed the major problem w/ climbers. That's why you'll learn to be relatively picky as to the tree you choose to use. Don't use a tree that is real fat at the base and tapers off quickly, you just won't have enough adjustment to make it work. Find one that is fairly uniform is diameter and start w/ the stand angled up. It won't take you long to learn what trees to use and not use and what angle to start at. I like to hunt high, so I climb until the stand starts to angle down. I then go back down the tree a bite or two and tie in.For me it works out that's always around 25 feet. You'll get the hang of it pretty quickly. Get the stand now and practice w/ it before heading to the woods.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:42 PM

If it's a "SUMMIT" you can't go wrong!