Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Barn Burner Question Of The Week >

Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 PM

Default RE: Barn Burner Question Of The Week

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

I have quit buying deer scents and have found it all to be a waste of money.Scouting and proper stand placement along with hunting the wind and being patient are the keys to deer hunting successfully.
I agree with hardcorehunter.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just find it funny that those who did not have any success with scents automatically think they are no good. Perhaps it isn't the various scents usedbut the hunters application of tactics........

Like I said I am not a scent fanatic, I generally only use scents for mock scrapes. Although I will at times hang a scent wick if I have the inclination.

Some people claim rattln' and calling don't work either...... but most of us know better than that..... right???
[/align]
Old 05-06-2006, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: buckeyebuckhntr

I just find it funny that those who did not have any success with scents automatically think they are no good. Perhaps it isn't the various scents usedbut the hunters application of tactics........

[/align]
I highly suspect that's my problem as well. I have never had any luck w/ them. I've used drag rags, mock scrapes, hung scent wicks in trees, they just never work for me.

Another part of the "do they work or not" equation I believe is the buck to doe ratio. If there are just way more does than bucks, I don't believe the rutting activity is as visible as it is where it is more 1 to 1. In cases like that, I just don't think (although it is entirely possible I am wrong) that they would work as well.

First of all, for ANY attractant to work, there needs to be deer there anyway. What I mean is, if you use a doe in heat urine in an area where bucks (or does for that matter) don't frequent, you may as well be peeing in the wind. JMO
Old 05-06-2006, 08:03 PM

I've had it work 2 times out of 100's..... First time was a Myles Keller gel... The buck crossed the scent trail I laid about 100yds down from me.. He did a 90 degree turn and nose to the ground all the way to 18yds, where he met his maker.....

The other time was similar, using Mrs Doe Pee.... Buck hit the wind trail way out and came in on a rope.....

It can work, but very sporatically is my experiences.....
Old 05-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buckeyehntr and Double Creek are right as far as I am concerned... scents work rarely. However, why pass up on the couple of time they will work just because they don't work all the time? I cannot 100% for sure link any buck I have killed with a scent bomb or anything, but I still use them because IF they help bring one in, then it was all worth it.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Its a scent called Paitence. The maker of the brand is called Determined. I have been using it for years with alot of success. Give it a try I know it can work for you too.
Same stuff I use!!!!

I try to have 0 smell and make 0 calls. I have fond when you are hunting mature whitetails I have my best success in bedding area's. I do not want to tip the buck off that I have been there. So I stay as scent free as I can.

Scents can and do work, but for me it is not worth the risk. Anybody have a good guesson the success rate when using scents? My guess is it would be hard tokeep track offailures. You will not know if a mature buck is on to you, because you will not even see him(which is why I do not use them).

Old 05-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I should add that I hunt where the does are. They are the best scent attractant in the world. No scentor callin the world will distract a rutting buck from a live doe.

ghemry, i am with you on calling except I will give it a try if he is going the other way. Atthat point I've got nothing tolose so I might as well see if I can change his mind. That has actually worked a few times.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't use them and never have. Nothing against them though. I just make sure I'm scent free as possible.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

ghemry, i am with you on calling except I will give it a try if he is going the other way. Atthat point I've got nothing tolose so I might as well see if I can change his mind. That has actually worked a few times.
Good point, I have done so myself. I like your doe point. The Ten in my Avitor I got because of hot doe in the bedding area. 10-28-2005 a little early for primetime, but she was in heat. I saw 12 different bucks that morning. When I climbed in my stand you could smell the rut piss, then 10 min later I heard a buck chasing a doe. After I took him out you should have seen the bucks come after her!!!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used curiosity scents successfully in the past, however in my opinion it only worked to bring an animal into a shooting lane or position that was maybe 10-20 yards outside their already intended path. I killed my first archery deer at 13 years old as it stopped maybe 40 yards out and then walked in to 20 yards and stuck its nose right where I had dumped a couple tablespoons of vanilla extract. I put a perfect double lunger on that doe at 20 yards and I definitely would not have gotten a shot at her without that scent.

I have also many times had them stop on their intended path to sniff and check outtinks scent wick I have put out, but this only occupies them for a minute or so while they are moving through the area already. I like to use the stuff to position the deer that would normally already be there, this is how it works best for me. This fall I intend to hang my mock scrape dripper and my leaf river in front of it to see if I can get some pics of bucks like this. Results of that should be interesting.

Quick Reply: Barn Burner Question Of The Week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.