Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Don't Do This....DUHHH >

Don't Do This....DUHHH

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Don't Do This....DUHHH

Old 05-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Don't Do This....DUHHH

Hey guys, been a while but I'm back with a little no no that you want to avoid. I have a Morrel Yellowjacket "Broadhead" target. The target is shot up pretty good both with broadheads and fieldpoints. I was shooting yesterday evening, with both broadheads and field tips. The only problem with the field tips is the target seals up around them causing a royal pain to pull the arrows, even with a good puller. So, anyway I started shooting the field tips into the more shot out regions of the target for ease of removal. I put 3 arrows in a very small group in the center of the target but they buried past the fletching. So what do I do? Yeah, you guessed it, I placed the gripper on the backside(exit) of the target to try and push the arrows back out the front. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB. I saw it coming but not quick enough. Wound up the gripper slid down the arrow and an adjacent arrow tip buried about 1" in the good ole meaty portion between the index and thumb of my right hand. Please, do not try this at home. Hindsight is 20 20, so I removed the tips after much bleeding and squealing and swearing, then pushed the arrows out. Still, even this way is dangerous, so be careful. We have all seen the results of a splintered carbon arrow penetrating a hand. Not a pretty sight either. The best answer is "DON"T USE A BROADHEAD TARGET FOR FIELD TIPS!"[X(]LT
Old 05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Don't Do This....DUHHH

Sorry to hear what happened. But thanks for sharing. It's a good reminder to everyone to watch what your doing and just take your time. Heal quick!!

Pat
Old 05-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could you have not just pulled them all the way through instead of pushing them back the way they entered? Would it have ripped the flecting off ?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, rickmur, unfortunately it would have pulled the fletching off. Just seals up too tight in the foam. Hindsight though says, "so what", I could have refletched the arrows in ten minutes instead of having a sore shooting hand for a week. LT
Old 05-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice, good one. Thanks for the warning.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Ouch!!!.. Like you say, you could see it coming but couldn't stop soon enough.[&:][&:]
Old 05-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats why I have 2 Morrell's targets, a Yellowjacket BH and an Eternity bag. I tried shooting field tips into the BH target once or twice. That was enough for me.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

nice goin!!!
Old 05-06-2006, 05:28 PM

Should have had a McKenzie.............Better luck next time........FOOL.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:25 PM

Hey L.T., it says right on the target to only use broadheads.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.